Calming Down A Pasture Critter

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Any suggestions for calming down a pasture cow? I don't want to halter train her or anything, I just want her calmed down. She's three years old and has been on pasture her whole life. All of my other cows are tame but when I try to work with them she gets all freaked out and gets everyone else riled up and then its just a mess. I've tried all the usual tricks, I spend a lot of time out there talking to them, trying to brush her/pet her, she comes running over when I bring grain but backs up as soon as I try to touch her or anything. She's a really great cow, probably has the best genetics in my herd so I'd rather not get rid of her, I just want her to relax a little because it would be easier on everyone. Thanks.

Yard her with a very quiet animal (ex bottle baby if possible) and feed her hay and grain twice a day, walk through the yard around her and talk to her at least twice a day, more if possible.

Do so for about a month and you should see a difference.

Don't pet the cow.
If she makes your herd dangerously crazy, get rid of her. But, it sounds to me like the others move away when she moves away, and that really isn't bad unless they are crashing through fences.

john250":9a16j37d said:
Don't pet the cow.
I agree, I'd settle for her to just be calm in the pen when I'm in it with her. I've got one that tends to get into my space. I don't like that.
Keren":9a16j37d said:
Yard her with a very quiet animal (ex bottle baby if possible) and feed her hay and grain twice a day
Had a heifer last year I figgured I'd have to end up selling because she was flighty. Then the drought hit us and I started feeding hay to the group of heifers in a manger under a barn. It wasn't long she got over it and is quite calm now. Won't say it will work everytime, but it works enough.

I have been hand feeding the "Stripey B*tch" cucumbers from the garden. It's worked wonders. Now I'm afraid that when I run out of those she'll knock me down looking for more... But she will walk up to me and wait for something to eat. She would not get within fifty yards of me before. I've got her with the donks and it seems to calm her down quite a bit.

Some are more patient then me. I don't consider a hard handling spooky type critter "GOOD" for any reason. She would go if in my herd.

Feed works wonders-so does a sale barn. If you gotta keep her,put her in a pen with a tame beastie-plenty of hay water.. Feed once a day,put a little feed in the tub,stand outside the fence-when the tame one finishes take away the tub. Don't move /talk/take the dog. She'll figgure out the other beast is getting all the goodies and start comeing up. This works on horses ,dogs and cats. Have not tried it on cows..

Latest posts