Calming calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Our state fair requires these rules to be followed:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:2i ... cd=5&gl=us

This is one reason my daughter made a comment about adults helping youth so much. 4H/FFA wants only limited assistance to the kids, this year they have a new rule that only certain people can assist them and require them to wear an armband. Anyone caught assisting them that should not be gets the animal and kid disqualified.

tom4018":3asy5p8n said:
Bez>":3asy5p8n said:
Why is it that people are so enamoured with winning that they are willing to do almost anything?

Is the ribbon and the prize money everything?

What ever happened to actually working with an animal and through that effort making it somethingto be proud of?

Bez>

The reason I asked is because some other people were talking about it at a show this weekend. Got me to wondering if they were using it on the heifers they had there. I told my daughter at least she knew she competed fair and square.

She even mentioned that the others kid's parents lead the heifers to and from the ring, kids only handled them in the ring. Granted I did help my daughter some but she does the majority of the work herself.
:clap: That's how it should be. Great job!

:idea: :idea: :idea:

1. Maybe the younger kids should only be allowed to show a smaller calf...one that they can handle more. One that is no taller than their arm will reach while holding the head up. That is one reason their arms get so tired. Another reason, could be where they are not building their muscles enough from their work.

2. Maybe there should be a rule for an older calf to be able to show, they have to be shown as a smaller calf and continue being worked with between seasons.

3. I, also, can see leading some for a 'smaller' kid, as long as, the kid grooms, waters, etc. At some shows, I don't even see that. Parents and older siblings should let the exhibitor do the work and be there just for backup.

4. If you do it for them, they become dependant and expect it in everything. Give a person a meal or teach them to fish, hunt, etc., which will it be? :?:

In our county 4-H, the older kids are allowed to help the younger kids if they need it in the showring. But I know that an animal can be worked everyday and still act up in the showring.

L Weir":3l0z3vbm said:
But I know that an animal can be worked everyday and still act up in the showring.

That is for sure.

We've got some that go both ways. Some at the ranch they are sweethearts, but once they get around the other cows and all the people they just don't like it. Maybe they have Social Anxiety Disorder or something? Then we've got some that are real witches at the ranch. then they're good at the shows, and once you put that leather show halter on they are perfect. They know its game time i guess. It also seems to be better ones that act up at the house, but are great in the arena.

Misty":3381f6ni said:
some animals are just nuts. Patience and hard work have gotten me and my daughter pummelled by her heifer. Many many ranchers and show people have said, "sometimes it just happens." I am glad you have been so fortunate. But, like I said, our solution to the problem is not to show her.
Misty

Like I said, If you start them young they cant push you around and they learn that this is their life, weather they like it or not. Sure, sometimes it does 'just happen' but, I personally beleive, that it can be avoided with early training. (we start before weaning)

Good for you! No need to risk your safty or your daughters over a prize! I was just sayin, that some people DO sedate their heifers.

L Weir":3381f6ni said:
I know that an animal can be worked everyday and still act up in the showring
That is so true. Here is a tip- When you get to a show, walk them around in the showring a bit, see how they act. If they act up more than usual. Take them for a walk the day of the show. A LONG WALK. (we actually do this with all of the calves at their first show, just to be sure. And then only the ones who need it after that) When I say LONG WALK, I mean 40-60 minutes an animal. Just walking. Dont worry about showstick, setting up, head up, anything. Let them walk at their pace, as long as its not too fast. Then, for 20 minutes, practice 'show', walking with head up and at a good show pace. It really gets them calmed down, and not so jumpy.

Ryan":3381f6ni said:
Maybe they have Social Anxiety Disorder or something?

I think that it is possible. And no kidding here, I also think that they can get separation anxeity from being away from the rest of 'their' home buddies. I had a steer one year that would FREAK OUT if he wasnt with a certain heifer. We ended up having to have the heifer stand outside the showring while I was in the ring with him.

Tom4018- I agree, If a kid cant hold the head up properly because the calf is too big, then someone else should show the calf. The kid could be given a 6th month, instead of a year Or even better for the smaller kids, prospect steers/heifers. We (meaning our family) always started the younger kids on cow/calf projects. This way, an older family member can show the cow, while the kid gets the calf. The calf is calm because she is by mom, and if the kid needs any help at all on how to act in the show ring, or what to do next. The older showman (showing the cow..) is right next to them to tell them what to do.

In our county, if the showman can't control the animal. (No matter what the age of the showman, or size of the cow.) They are disqualified and cannot receive higher than a red ribbon. By ''can't control'', they mean, if the 4-Her needs assistance from parents because the calf is wild, they exit the ring. Or if the calf gets away from the 4-Her more than twice, they exit the ring. (Once away is 'fine' as the rule book states "there may be outside reasons" and I THINK that means other animals acting up, or tripping, or somthing.) I REALLY LIKE this rule. Ever since this rule has been in effect, people have actually started training their calves. (our county was HORRIBLE about bringing untrained animals. I mean, one animals per class would end up freaking out.)

Ryan":3e1zgu7j said:
L Weir":3e1zgu7j said:
But I know that an animal can be worked everyday and still act up in the showring.

That is for sure.

We've got some that go both ways. Some at the ranch they are sweethearts, but once they get around the other cows and all the people they just don't like it. Maybe they have Social Anxiety Disorder or something? Then we've got some that are real witches at the ranch. then they're good at the shows, and once you put that leather show halter on they are perfect. They know its game time i guess. It also seems to be better ones that act up at the house, but are great in the arena.

LOL! I'll have to see if I can use that as an excuse the next time my daughters animals act up.

In our county, if the showman can't control the animal. (No matter what the age of the showman, or size of the cow.) They are disqualified and cannot receive higher than a red ribbon. By ''can't control'', they mean, if the 4-Her needs assistance from parents because the calf is wild, they exit the ring. Or if the calf gets away from the 4-Her more than twice, they exit the ring. (Once away is 'fine' as the rule book states "there may be outside reasons" and I THINK that means other animals acting up, or tripping, or somthing.) I REALLY LIKE this rule. Ever since this rule has been in effect, people have actually started training their calves. (our county was HORRIBLE about bringing untrained animals. I mean, one animals per class would end up freaking out.)[/quote]

I remember reading in the Amer. Angus Jr rules this past year that if an animal got loose two times the exhibitor had to leave the showring.

SHOWMOM":2yrfqmlk said:
OK, here goes the soapbox again...... Why would little kids show an animal that is so big they're worn out in no time. I think it's great for young ones to be involved but I don't know about actually showing until they're mature enough and strong enough to show that calf. Some judges take foooooooooooorevvvvvvvvver to judge a class, and I've seen some older, stronger kids worn out by the time they're done. But it all goes back to the kid working day in and day out with those calves. There is always, going to be someone you have to compete against that is going to break the rules, some people have a win at all costs attitude. So just do the best you can and have fun.....

I understand what you are saying but . . . I can get to the end of a class and be totally and utterly exhausted. I will generally do most of the work myself as I am the lead stud groom for our stud and so I prepare, fit and parade almost all of the calves. But no matter what size animal it is a lot of the time I get out of the ring and I just feel like I want to go back to bed. And I'm always unbelievably grateful when one of my mates grabs the animal to take it back to the shed for me.

In regard to the original question about drugging cattle - I certainly know it happens here in Australia but I'm getting the idea that it is far more of an issue in America. While I respect, understand and agree with those who have said that kids just need to work more with their animals, it is just a fact of life that there are some animals which will never be calm no matter how much work is put into them. However, I do not believe the solution is to drug them. In this case I believe you have one of two choices: if the animal is difficult but you are competent enough to show her, then by all means show her. But if she is nutty and you will not be able to control her, then she should be left at home. I have come across some bl00dy crazy animals, and I have shown them all, not by drugging them but because I was able to handle them even though they were crazy all as get out. I have only been asked once by an owner to drug an animal - she was absolutely nuts but a brilliant heifer and he suggested drugging her. I refused and took her the way she was - extremely difficult to handle and show but she took out the champion heifer.

Now the other point I just want to comment on (and I cant remember who brought it up) is that some animals are completely calm at home and play up at a show. I completely agree and it has been my experience that those animals which are 'bombproof' at home will be the most difficult at the show, and those nutcases which you think you will have the worst time with completely settle down at the show. I think it comes down to the more fiery animals being able to cope better with the stress of being in a new environment, whereas the quiet animals get to the show and freak out because everything is different. And going off on a bit of a tangent here, I think the same goes for dark cutting steers - in contrast to the main belief that towy steers will cut dark it has been my experience that difficult steers often have no meat colour problems but quiet steers do - because towy steers are better able to cope with the stress.

I will get off my soap box now :lol:

Latest posts