Callmefence

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I sent this to Luke but I think he is on the houseboat.

First picture is a gripple that failed. Note that the plastic insert that holds the friction ball has protruded.

Am I putting on too much tension? Or am I not inserting the gripple in the jaws of the tool properly. Note the second picture. Is that the correct position of the gripple and wire to apply tension?

Note: these are barb wire gripple and that is strands of barb wire that have had the barbs striped.

I've had a few do that Raven. Seems to me it's usually caused when initially inserting the wire. A little curl or bend in the end of the wire will hang the insert and push it out.
I'm sure Luke will have more.

callmefence":1llalkt9 said:
I've had a few do that Raven. Seems to me it's usually caused when initially inserting the wire. A little curl or bend in the end of the wire will hang the insert and push it out.
I'm sure Luke will have more.

Hey. That is what I thought happened. Good. I was worried I was inserting the gripple improperly in the torque tool. Thanks.

Did it actually fail to keep tension, or is it just the plastic plug that pushed out? Back when the original Gripple was introduced to the US, the plugs weren't in them.....Water would get in and freeze, and there went the Gripple. It never was a problem in England, since they don't have the temperature extremes that we do.

Farm Fence Solutions":1kopatvb said:
Did it actually fail to keep tension, or is it just the plastic plug that pushed out? Back when the original Gripple was introduced to the US, the plugs weren't in them.....Water would get in and freeze, and there went the Gripple. It never was a problem in England, since they don't have the temperature extremes that we do.
When the plug came out, it lost tension.

Bright Raven":3n4zzvtn said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3n4zzvtn said:

How is it that you are posting but not texting today?

TennesseeTuxedo":1lj0z96i said:
Bright Raven":1lj0z96i said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1lj0z96i said:

If you are asking me, it's because I have wifi but no cell service.

Farm Fence Solutions":as26iyh1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":as26iyh1 said:
Bright Raven":as26iyh1 said:

If you are asking me, it's because I have wifi but no cell service.

Sorry, no, I was asking Ron. I sent him a couple of text messages this morning but I haven't heard back.

Latest posts