Calling all Shorthorn breeders! (And cattle Critiquers.)

Help Support CattleToday:

In all honesty, it looks good to me, but I don't know much about shorthorns. The only flaw I might see is, it looks a little post-legged, but that could be the way the hair makes it look.

brandonm_13":287j295q said:
In all honesty, it looks good to me, but I don't know much about shorthorns. The only flaw I might see is, it looks a little post-legged, but that could be the way the hair makes it look.
Thanks. :D Yes, sometimes the calf will grow so much hair that when it is "pulled" with adhesive, it makes hock joint look almost obsolete.

From what I've heard on Primo is that he is good at throwing some frame without putting much substance into the calves. IMHO there are a lot better shorthorn bulls out there than him.

That looks like one of the show bulls off the Guyer cattle web site. I dont know if you've seen them butt they all look post legged and a little too perfect. Well fluffed and shined. Show me some off spring and performance data.

TB-Herefords":1lc4hyql said:
That looks like one of the show bulls off the Guyer cattle web site. I dont know if you've seen them butt they all look post legged and a little too perfect. Well fluffed and shined. Show me some off spring and performance data.
Not a Guyer, but I've looked through the Guyer's cattle pictures. You bring a true point to the table, however, this bull is going to mainly be a clubby one. Hair and looking pretty are up there on the list of important traits.

this is why I don't like looking and judging animals which are "dressed up" for the show... he looks nice, but it looks like a barrel mounted on 4 thick fenceposts, his back is nice, his color I like, but I can't tell what's going on with his tail/tailhead, did it get fluffed into the sky?

I like looking at them when they just get a bit of a curry-combing, and it's conceivable that you'd find them in a pasture looking that way.. that's what *I* like

Nesikep":2tqq9gyt said:
this is why I don't like looking and judging animals which are "dressed up" for the show... he looks nice, but it looks like a barrel mounted on 4 thick fenceposts, his back is nice, his color I like, but I can't tell what's going on with his tail/tailhead, did it get fluffed into the sky?

I like looking at them when they just get a bit of a curry-combing, and it's conceivable that you'd find them in a pasture looking that way.. that's what *I* like

Tail adhesive. It gets pulled up and then clipped at a 90* angle to make him look more square through his hip.

I admit, I don't know diddly about the Shorthorn breed, but my first reaction to that picture was,
That's a bull, huh? Looks like a steer.

He just doesn't look masculine/fertile in that picture. And the fitter managed to minimize his butt muscle and make him look unsound in the hind legs.

Don't want to offend anyone but opinions were requested and that's mine.

Very good. Good or bad, I wanna hear it. He is fitted up pretty nice, so this picture might be a little inaccurate of what he really looks like. Duh. :dunce:

I also think he really is postlegged, and lacks masculinity. He'd make a nice show steer with a little more set to the rear leg. When it comes to the showring, unfortunately tweaking the hair is not the only thing done to achieve the look wanted. I've seen a steer bleeding from his rear from the "supplement" he was on.

I guess I should have made it known that I worked with this bull in person at hawkeye breeders. If you saw him in person compared to the picture you wouldn't recognize him. His hair makes him look a lot better than he really is.

Jake":27wliu0n said:
I guess I should have made it known that I worked with this bull in person at hawkeye breeders. If you saw him in person compared to the picture you wouldn't recognize him. His hair makes him look a lot better than he really is.
Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I thank you sir.

blackcowz-

"Hair and looking pretty are up there on the list of important traits".
Short answer, inasmuch as I have expressed my "opinionated" thoughts on this kind of assinine activity in the past!

Some IMPORTANT questions to be asked when evaluating cattle for Seedstock selection OR Terminal Production considerations:

Why is it on - "what list" - of important traits?? "Important" to whom?? Where is "Hair" and "looking pretty" found on Phenotype, Genotype, and Functional Traits instructions for visual appraisals? Where does one locate the EPD for "looking pretty" and "Hair"? How does "Hair" and "looking pretty" make a positive impact on decision-making when considering ACTUAL and LEGITIMATE skeletal structure, soundness of hocks and feet, shoulder and spine, body capacity, fleshing ability, and mammary structure, femininity and/or masculinity, muscle expression and degree of fatness. Those are serious and "IMPORTANT" traits to consider when making a decision regarding seedstock selection. "Hair" and "looking pretty" isn't worth Squat Doodly when one is anticipating next year's PROFIT!

What it DOES do is confuse the uninformed as to what is genuinely important when PROFITABLE genetics are at stake in the solemn BU$INE$$ of cattle selection! We really should NOT be making liars our of our young people when it comes to discerning the importance of REALITY vs. FANTASY! :?

This is a prime example of why serious "Beef Cattle Production" and "Moo-Cow Beauty Parlor" games have very little in common with each other!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts