Calling all Hereford people!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lol thanks Aaron but hes a little too short for my liking. I really like his build but I would want some more leg under him if I was going to breed anything to him. I will have a while to look for a bull for her so im not really worried about it right now. There are a looot of AI sires out there!

s Missouri very cold? Our Herefords seldom get as thick a coat as yours. We have cold weather (I know not as extreme as the US or Canada) A lot of Herefords in the US seem very light in colour compared to the Australian cattle. There are no light coloured ones here. If they do turn out light they are said to have some nutritional deficiency. I know thats not the case,it must just be bloodlines. We take more care with the setting and pigmentation of the eyes because of our much hotter weather.
Colin

Right now we are in the 20s-30s here. But it has been much colder and we have had a lot of snow this year. We had about nine inches sunday. It has melted quite a bit but we still have about 2 or 3 inches on the ground. I have a cow that is about to pop and I just KNEW she would calve in the middle of that blizzard lol. Thank god she didnt. Most of our cows and the bull are fairly dark. Probably not as dark as your cattle over there but for here they arent very light. But for some reason some of the calves are more of a peanut butter color. Or thats what my family calls them lol. Peanut Butter Herefords. Most of ours do have pigment around their eyes but its faint. You can see it if you're standing right next to them and look at the skin around their eyes. We have a few that actually have markings around their eyes but not very many. Does the eye pigment actually have something to do with herefords not contracting pink eye or eye cancer? I always heard that but I didnt know if it was just an old farmers myth or if there was truth to it. There are very few people that raise herefords down here. They say they are too small framed, dont milk well, and get pink eye too easily. Well since we have bred full blooded herefords we have never had pink eye, obviously mine arent small framed at all, and they all milk really well. Does anyone else have stereotypes like that around where they live?

SWSFHerefords":2sxdrvbc said:
Lol thanks Aaron but hes a little too short for my liking. I really like his build but I would want some more leg under him if I was going to breed anything to him. I will have a while to look for a bull for her so im not really worried about it right now. There are a looot of AI sires out there!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

SWSFHerefords":1fsm4evw said:
Right now we are in the 20s-30s here. But it has been much colder and we have had a lot of snow this year. We had about nine inches sunday. It has melted quite a bit but we still have about 2 or 3 inches on the ground. I have a cow that is about to pop and I just KNEW she would calve in the middle of that blizzard lol. Thank god she didnt. Most of our cows and the bull are fairly dark. Probably not as dark as your cattle over there but for here they arent very light. But for some reason some of the calves are more of a peanut butter color. Or thats what my family calls them lol. Peanut Butter Herefords. Most of ours do have pigment around their eyes but its faint. You can see it if you're standing right next to them and look at the skin around their eyes. We have a few that actually have markings around their eyes but not very many. Does the eye pigment actually have something to do with herefords not contracting pink eye or eye cancer? I always heard that but I didnt know if it was just an old farmers myth or if there was truth to it. There are very few people that raise herefords down here. They say they are too small framed, dont milk well, and get pink eye too easily. Well since we have bred full blooded herefords we have never had pink eye, obviously mine arent small framed at all, and they all milk really well. Does anyone else have stereotypes like that around where they live?

Read this, it will explain what you need to select for to avoid eye problems.

http://www.studbook.co.za/Society/heref ... ection.pdf

haha love how she took the show stick from you. i have 2 retired show cows that fight over my attention all the time like that. nice animals too.

Aaron":3u2towr7 said:
This is the type of bull you need to breed Holly too. :D

P1010100.jpg

P1010099.jpg

P1010103.jpg

So...Are these your bulls Aaron?...

Watertondifter":2ab9y15x said:
Aaron":2ab9y15x said:
This is the type of bull you need to breed Holly too. :D

P1010100.jpg

P1010099.jpg

P1010103.jpg

So...Are these your bulls Aaron?...

The bull pictured is, now. Purchased at Bill Creech's sale in Lloyd. Should be arriving here in about 3-4 weeks. :cowboy:

angusbreederms":ojsd0cdo said:
If I was going to breed a heifer to a Horned Hereford, I would use this bull. We have done well with him!!!

HH Advance 9012Y [SOD, CHB]

http://www.reedent.com/reedent/cattle/h ... 9012y.html

I think I have looked at him before. I could be wrong. I have looked at so many of them its hard to remember. But I do like him. Thank you!