Calling all fence builders............WWYD

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is the front of this property. SMH

Since there are no HOA.. so, anything goes.

If it is your property do what you want within the law.
If it is not your property stay the hell away and mind your own business.

If it is your property do what you want within the law.
If it is not your property stay the hell away and mind your own business.
Well, it ends up our problem when his dang cows knock that fence down. Since they are only up ever once in a while, it can be our business when their cows end up in our yard or in with our cows.

That's actually some good looking fence compared to what ive seen around here. Before my in laws bought it, my neighbors farm had barbed wire and it was such a mess, it looked like the stuff they have you crawling under during combat training.

My brother in law said one time, You have to wonder how their horses even stayed in and i told him the only thing i figured was they were afraid they would get tangled in the mess.

That's actually some good looking fence compared to what ive seen around here. Before my in laws bought it, my neighbors farm had barbed wire and it was such a mess, it looked like the stuff they have you crawling under during combat training.

My brother in law said one time, You have to wonder how their horses even stayed in and i told him the only thing i figured was they were afraid they would get tangled in the mess.
It might would be ok this year, except they used a 'dead' pine for these corners.. The drunk that had the place before this crew actually built a nice fence. This new group bought the place next to the drunks when they bought the drunks so it didnt have a fence. Since they wanted cows, they built this. Their first group of cows had just had their calves pulled off them, like, the day they hauled them to this place. Spent weeks trying to keep those cows home, we spent way too much time helping. Finally, they got a different crew of cows, bred heifers. I mentioned before, their first heifer to calve had to be put down after spending days in labor, we had to put it down... So, not looking forward to their cows getting out through this when they run out of grass this summer, since, they have too many cows on it...
We have some fences that are, what we call, Robinson Crewsoe fences.... something my FIL named them, BUT, they border our own land.. Looking forward to a new fence running in front of our house on the road.... soon, i'll be able to mow both sides..and it might be a pipe fence...

So They had a heifer that had to be put down and WE (as in more than one) had to put it down?
which begs the question. How many of YOU did it take to put down THEIR heifer?
Did you bill for this service? or were you just being neighborly? PS, I believe it's Crusoe if you are referring to Daniel Defoe,,,,,,,
Invite them on CT. Might be the best thing since ''20,000 On The Hoof"

So They had a heifer that had to be put down and WE (as in more than one) had to put it down?
which begs the question. How many of YOU did it take to put down THEIR heifer?
Did you bill for this service? or were you just being neighborly? PS, I believe it's Crusoe if you are referring to Daniel Defoe,,,,,,,
Invite them on CT. Might be the best thing since ''20,000 On The Hoof"
We were being helpful, as we are with anyone who needs help. We as in we, 4 of us, worked on this heifer to get her calf out. Then, 'we' as a group tried to talk to guy into taking her to the vet. Then we, suggested putting her out of her misery. Then, and i dont remember, one had a gun, another did the deed, then another one of us used his skidsteer and dug a hole.... i milked out her colostrum since i never let a tragedy go to waste..
Not sure why you are so, passive aggressive about this. You seem new, but, are you new because you had to get a new ID...? old member with a grudge?

Wait till we gets serious about cattle and cuts it into 20 " pastures" with a hot wire. All you can see is 40 acres of those tacky looking yellow insulators.
I really just want them to keep their cows in and take care of them, i really dont care what it looks like because we never see it. I do live in horror that cows, even ours, will get into my yard and destroy my garden.. But, i did get a motion activated sprinkler that seems to work great at least on the cats.. i would think it would keep cows away if any were to wander into my garden.. My lawn is still growing, but once i have it at its best, or when its wet, it kills me when something wanders in and tears it up. We try to keep the gate shut, but sometimes it doesnt get shut..

I'm not sure what the exact law is but if it's a shared fence we need to agree on the materials and how its built. In the case that one person wants say galvanized t posts and the other wants green, the person wanting the galv posts pays the additional cost over green. The same with net wire.

IMO, if he wants to do that kind of nonsense he needs to do it on his property, like they do with high fence a lot of times.

It might be worth having a conversation and explaining that those fences are jointly owned and yall need to get together on how they are built.

"I never let a trajedy go to waste." I remember that phrase from somewhere.........You are correct on one count, I am old. You should be
so lucky. Not getting along with your neighbors in Texas could have a bearing on that. What I have seen thus far is finger pointing
and an admission to leaving the gate open. You have received some good advice (and from Texans too). Listen to those words of
wisdom and love thy neighbor as thyself.

I'm not sure what the exact law is but if it's a shared fence we need to agree on the materials and how its built. In the case that one person wants say galvanized t posts and the other wants green, the person wanting the galv posts pays the additional cost over green. The same with net wire.

IMO, if he wants to do that kind of nonsense he needs to do it on his property, like they do with high fence a lot of times.

It might be worth having a conversation and explaining that those fences are jointly owned and yall need to get together on how they are built.
Exactly

"I never let a trajedy go to waste." I remember that phrase from somewhere.........You are correct on one count, I am old. You should be
so lucky. Not getting along with your neighbors in Texas could have a bearing on that. What I have seen thus far is finger pointing
and an admission to leaving the gate open. You have received some good advice (and from Texans too). Listen to those words of
wisdom and love thy neighbor as thyself.
Democrats use that saying, Tragedy though, not trajedy.. You have a cow die calving, its tragic if you leave behind the colostrum, has no bearing on whether you get along with anyone. Offered it to the guy, he declined but i told him it will be in my freezer and if he needs it give me a holler.. Basically, we are their best friends. Most of the new weekenders see us that way.. Mainly because when they have a problem, they come to us. We pull them out of the mud, we mow their weekend place, we gather their cows when they get out because they only come up once in a blue moon. We feed their cattle, we basically do everything they cant and most time we dont get offered money to do it... If we dont want to do it, we make ourselves hard to get a hold of.. sometimes they pay well... you just never know. On a rare occasion, we get a rotten apple... but luckily, no weekend places are very close to our house and most have a dirt road separating us that is usually unpassable for city vehicles.. Basically, they are sort of a source of entertainment....lol.... you just never know what they'll do next...

Last edited:
Never understood why people get hung up about spelling and grammar to the extent they feel the need to point it out. Especially when it is clear what the writer or speaker was meaning. Good communication is about conveying a message - not grammer or speling. Ain't no need to make a fuss. Pretty sure we all have faults more serious than those we perceive in others.

Never understood why people get hung up about spelling and grammar to the extent they feel the need to point it out. Especially when it is clear what the writer or speaker was meaning. Good communication is about conveying a message - not grammer or speling. Ain't no need to make a fuss. Pretty sure we all have faults more serious than those we perceive in others.
I only did it because he corrected me, then made a mistake himself right after...lol..... You don't correct unless you're perfect... I would have looked past his mistake if he hadn't just corrected mine.. Its like someone calling another person fat, when their fat...lol..... all in fun guys right.

I only did it because he corrected me, then made a mistake himself right after...lol..... You don't correct unless you're perfect... I would have looked past his mistake if he hadn't just corrected mine.. Its like someone calling another person fat, when their fat...lol..... all in fun guys right.
They're. ;)

Latest posts