Calling all fence builders............WWYD

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
SO, the weekenders place that switched hands around a year ago, is on a whole new level. People are nice, but again they are the "We have 40 acres, we want cows." Since, we had to put down a cow for them, after spending an hour trying to pull the breach dead calf out of her on a sunday afternoon, and of course they have no facilities or trailer. Anywhoot, he calls husband a few days ago and tells him he's going to put a gap in the new fence husband built with last owner of the place. Fence is around a quarter mile and separates our hayfield with their back end.... Fence is around 2 years old, a lot of work went into it. Land clearing and such, weekender bought supplies, husband and son cleared and built.. So, new weekender builds gap last weekend. Not sure why he was insistent on building it, says we can use it. We'll be the only ones who can use it and it would only go onto their place, whatever.. We went out there yesterday to see what he felt the need to build in that new 5 strand fence.. OMG..... my husband flipped his lid.. This guy cut a small pine tree and used that to make a semi H section to tie the wire to..(I'll get pictures if i get a chance to go back out there). Then, made around a 8 ft gap that hooked onto the bois d arc massive H section that husband built. Not only that, he painted the trees around this on his side purple.... WTH.. There is no end to what these weekend people are capable of. Glad the guy wasnt there at that moment of first seeing it.. Husband has had time to think about it. He's planning on going back there and splicing the wire back to his H section..

I wouldn't say a word...
I would go redo it and hang a gate. Pasture gates are cheap enough to never bother with a gap.
I would build on pipe braces of course. Stretch the wire good tight and neat.....And then I'd weld the gate closed............
Technically, there is no need for a gate there. Its just so weird. This fence divides our properties...no roads or anything anywhere near.. Then, he sprays his trees purple for only us to see to stay out. Who does this? We have a ton of pipe braces and H sections from pulling up fences for the solar farm. My husband is a bois d arc H section builder, he loves them. We have big osage trees all over, you cant beat them for bracing and we love the way they look, there is an art to them. And god i hate gaps.. i have several i have to use checking cows.. i hate them.

I wouldn't say a word...
I would go redo it and hang a gate. Pasture gates are cheap enough to never bother with a gap.
I would build on pipe braces of course. Stretch the wire good tight and neat.....And then I'd weld the gate closed............
With a "KEEP GATE CLOSED" sign facing their way.

I use to go on a place that got divided by two family members after they inherited it. Story is one wanted to split it and the other didnt. The one built the fence supposedly just on his side to split it. He put a gate going in to the cousins place where a road cut across the pasture. The cousin built like a 50' stretch of fence right across the gate just on his side which was like 3' away. 🤣

Last edited:
Both parties need to determine which fences belong to whom. If that particular fence belongs to your neighbor, they can do whatever they wish as long as the fence keeps cattle in or out.

In my area land owners use the right-hand rule. The fence to the right-hand side of a gate is your fence. Therefore, I would not go around adding gates to a fence. The same rule does not apply to a gap. So a gap could be added to a fence and would not affect anything.

Purple Paint and Keep Out are becoming synonomous over an increasing area each year. Mostly recognized in the south but expanding
each year.. Speaking of fences, wouldn't it be something if the Head Patient was compelled by his own circumstance to finish building
the Donald J Trump Preserve America National Wall during his tenure?

Not sure how it is there, but in IL their is the "purple paint law" it's supposed to be the same as putting up no trespassing signs.
Yes, thats the irony, he built the gap for us to use, then paints the trees purple. We are the only people who could use the gate.... so, when are we suppose to use the gate? He made it telling us we could use it anytime we wanted, but he painted the trees purple... SMH

I allow quite a few people access to my property, but I still have 'no trespassing/no hunting or fishing' signs up everywhere, including some facing property belonging to friends and neighbors that have my permission to be here. Unless your neighbors have specifically stated you and your family can no longer use the gap/gate, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think I would have questioned the need for a gap in the first place and denied the request outright.

In Texas a fence is a defacto Keep Out / No Trespassing sign. Something I learned from Tiffany Lashmet's Ag Law Blog and Landowner seminars.

Pine, and not big pine but small and it was probably a dead one at that... If i remember i'll get a picture of what he did on the other side of his property on the H sections he built... oy

That reminds me of somebody years ago that bought a little place next to us. They sometimes came over the fence onto our land, probably to fish. That really didn't bother me too much other than the principal of it. I wouldn't have done that without asking if the situation was reversed. I did get aggravated at the time when I saw that a No Trespassing sign had been put on a tree facing our side of the fence.

Impressive! He was probably having a MacGyver moment there. Pine posts. With bark still on - maybe that makes them waterproof! :) They are probably at least a foot in the ground. He is living the dream - in his mind.
The last owner called my husbands fence a 'Hack Job' because he used a skidsteer to clear the fence. It was littered with small crap cedar elms and willow oaks.. Then told him he was a crook because when he asked if we wanted to bale his place, asked how many bales he'd get and what we'd pay for them.. On unimproved pastures with just junk grass, maybe, just maybe 2 dollars a bale and he'd get maybe 40 bales on what he had.. Called husband a crook....... so, we were glad to see him go but worried what would move in next....

When I see and hear of things like this I think of what Curly said on the movie City Slickers, "City Folk". You have to shake your head sometimes. I had a electrical supply salesman that I done a lot of business with tell me that he was going to buy him some land and keep hay out for the deer so he could watch them, I never said a word I just let him think putting round bales of hay out was going to attract deer. He was a city feller and didn't know any better. He brought me a load of light fixtures on a trailer one day and he got so frustrated trying to back the trailer that I ended up having to do it for him, he said it was because the trailer wasn't turning right, turned fine for me when I turned the wheels on the truck the right way. City folk, SMH. And they think us country folks are the ignorant ones.

The last owner called my husbands fence a 'Hack Job' because he used a skidsteer to clear the fence. It was littered with small crap cedar elms and willow oaks.. Then told him he was a crook because when he asked if we wanted to bale his place, asked how many bales he'd get and what we'd pay for them.. On unimproved pastures with just junk grass, maybe, just maybe 2 dollars a bale and he'd get maybe 40 bales on what he had.. Called husband a crook....... so, we were glad to see him go but worried what would move in next....
That's how it is here with a place that has a bunch of smaller tracks that border one corner. My motto is alway... it cant get any worse.