callicrate banding??????

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
how effective the usage of callicrate banding??? do you still need to give tetanus shot???? since it is bloodless, i don't understand the recommendation of tetanus shot????

i am planning to use the bander in the next months if i can't use a regular bander. i am opened for suggestions, advises, and criticism.

The tetanus shot is because with the large rubber bands there is the piece of metal on it. it prevents lock jaw.

I luv herfrds":r5dc4t7g said:
The tetanus shot is because with the large rubber bands there is the piece of metal on it. it prevents lock jaw.
It has nothing to do with the callicrate having metal on them. It is recommended that banding calves over a given size/weight/age that a tetanaus shot be given. Don;t knoew if it;s the antitoxin or toxoid. Don;t know the reasoning behind it but that's the way it's been preached for at least 40 years.

uscangus":1v2k0nwm said:
how effective the usage of callicrate banding??? do you still need to give tetanus shot???? since it is bloodless, i don't understand the recommendation of tetanus shot????

If you know what you're doing, it is very effective. Yes, you still need to give a tetanus shot. The reason for the tetanus shot in all banding scenarios is because tetanus lives in the soil and it thrives in an airless environment. That is exactly the type of environment that is created by a rubber band slowly working it's way through an animals scrotum. Every time the animal lays down his scrotum comes into contact with the earth, and can become contaminated by the tetanus bacterium.

Dun, it's toxoid. Tetanus antitoxin is usually used after tetanus has been contracted to help neutralize the toxins given off by the tetanus bacterium.

Latest posts