Call the vet!

Help Support CattleToday:

I call the vet on Monday. He says " I can probably make it out next weekend if you still need me".

Got a horse only vet that shows up same day.

I have personally learned to call the vet first, but even when we did call the vet, it sometimes takes 2-3 hours before you get a call back as they are out on farm calls. And then when you find out it is an emergency, they can't get there for 2-5 hours. Our 2 vets cover 2-3 counties in this area of dairy farmers. Newer members probably have books on the subject, but sometimes you can't find the answers and wonder if you have a problem. That is why I joined this forum - thought the members were people wanting to help give advice. Newer members have things come up that aren't exactly in the books. I didn't want to bother the busy vets if I didn't need to. It is definitely not a cost issue! I got some good advice on websites from caring members and I thank them immensely. I will still use this forum for advice - wish some of the members would just not post if all they can do is ridicule. Newer members have to learn somehow!

I think most people who have been around cattle know when it's something they can handle themselves. If its something you can't handle call the vet. On the other hand some folks call a vet for every little thing and that doesn't make sense either. Some are too lazy to do a little doctoring themselves and have the funds to call a vet to keep from doing it. Just my opinion.

ctlbaron":24ht7bnk said:
I think most people who have been around cattle know when it's something they can themselves.

That's the operative phrase! What about the newbies that are just getting their feet wet, sometimes they don;t see a problem when it presents itself simply because they don;t have the experience. Those are the people that can really benefit from this site. Problem is that we all eventually lose sight of what these forums are for.

dun

dun":1wj3uzj4 said:
ctlbaron":1wj3uzj4 said:
I think most people who have been around cattle know when it's something they can themselves.

That's the operative phrase! What about the newbies that are just getting their feet wet, sometimes they don;t see a problem when it presents itself simply because they don;t have the experience. Those are the people that can really benefit from this site. Problem is that we all eventually lose sight of what these forums are for.

dun
;-)

dun":j4kvdchn said:
ctlbaron":j4kvdchn said:

dun

But in any forum there are online egos that want to build themselves up at the expense of others. Those of us that have the courage to post our questions, like jlv did, are what make this site useful, and not just a bunch of wanna be's and useless peanut gallery.

Some of the know it all fools would critisize me for even thinking of taking my camera into the barn to photograph that prolapse, but a few honest people spoke up and said the photo's really helped them.

Maybe I gotta get a thicker skin, but a lot of the twits who post in here seem to have nothing helpful to say.

Then again maybe it's me that is missing the point of the forum??

The point of the forum is different for all of us. Who knows why each of us read and post.

For anyone and especially a beginner, getting on here and boning up on information, just in case there ever is a need to know situation, this forum is a good thing. If there is something trivial going on (not life and death) and a beginner wanted to know what's best, this forum is a good source for that too.

I read about things that I have never experienced and probably never will. There are thousands of cattle in this area. Vets see the really sick ones regularly. If I can get in here and discover preventative methodology, I take note. I feel it is best to prevent injury or illness. Kind of nipping it in the bud.

I remember when my dad moved us to a farm in the forties. After a couple of years we were able to buy some cattle. He had no experence, I guess just a dumb wantabe. A Heifer started rolling on her side and bawling. Dad had no idea what was wrong, ran a mile to a neighbors for help. The neighbor came just in time to tell us we had our first heifer calf. I,m sure he laughed a little but was polite and explained a lot. Years after that dad would be helping him with problem calvings.

rkm":27sed9j3 said:
I remember when my dad moved us to a farm in the forties. After a couple of years we were able to buy some cattle. He had no experence, I guess just a dumb wantabe. A Heifer started rolling on her side and bawling. Dad had no idea what was wrong, ran a mile to a neighbors for help. The neighbor came just in time to tell us we had our first heifer calf. I,m sure he laughed a little but was polite and explained a lot. Years after that dad would be helping him with problem calvings.

And I sort of hoped that was what this board was about. I wonder if your neighbour went around saying "yeah that new man next door shouldn't own cattle, let's beat the crap out of him every time we see him".

And where would you or your Dad be if at the first sign of adversity he/you gave up?

The things my Dad taught me while he had a chance to on this farm about raising cattle he learned in an environment where if you were not successful - you didn't eat. He was the oldest of 7, Grandpa and Gramma had to work in town, away weeks at a time. Some of the stories ( and all 7 say they are not exaggerating ) would make some of these modern farmers cringe.

( Butchering a pig cause it fell out of a mow and broke it's back. Never seen an animal butchered but they went ahead and ate it that week. Dad ( 12 years old ) got whipped when Granpa got back for killin the pig ).

It sounds like you had a similar intro to cattle.

You make em work, or you don't eat. If I had the vet here every time I had a problem I wasn't 100% sure I could solve I can assure you I wouldn"t be eating!

I don't mind helping the new folks at all if I can. That is what this forum is for. I'm just saying that some people won't call a vet when they should and others call the vet for everything.

rkm":3fklb1zm said:

From what i've read the past couple days. Your dad was dumb for trying to raise cattle without knowing what he was doing. He should've known a lot more about it that what he did. Why does he have to be so foolish. Only an expert like _______ can do this correctly. Oh well this board just like any other I have ever seen, a minority of loud mouths turn a lot of people off. I'm glad I didn't, don't, and won't have to use a forum for my mentoring. I have found someone who is willing to help me no matter how stupid the question seems, without ridiculing me. Seems like we would want to encourage people to get involved not try and kick em out when they're down. Sadly on places like this those with the smarts won't talk up very much cause they don't feel like dealing with the loud minority.

In 1940 I'm sure there was just tons of information out there that a new farmer/rancher could get his hands on, ya know..internet, library's and vets ever where? NOT
Everyone hasta start somewhere. Just because you don't like the opinions you get on a message board doesn't mean everyone's bad here. I've watched these threads and perdy much kept my mouth shut on most of the subjects.
I for one, don't have the money to call a vet ever time something goes wrong, and when I have called, they can't/won't come out. So ya do the best you can, ask those that you know what to do, and then dig in and git yer hands dirty (like someone's dad did) and do the best you can with the situation your given. oh....and always, hope for the best. Ya win some and you loose some, you learn from both situations, but ya dont' sit around snivvlin about it.

Vets everywhere. kinda like today huh. I think my post went way over your head. cause you totally missed the over exaggeration on my part. I didn't say everybody was a jerk. You will find the word minority more than once in my post.

The sad part is most know their gonna get bashed for asking but want to save a a cow/calf. i can handle most any situaition when it comes to cattle and horses but i would rather put one down than ask a question on here thats how bad its getting. NOT POINTING FINGERS ARE MAKING JUDGMENTS AGAINTS ANY ONE JUST A OBSERVATION

Nobody's gonna run this newbie off!! :lol:

Well maybe the Moderator. ;-) ( With all due respect SIR! ).

PB heifer calf water just broke, let's see what kind of Ka Ka I can stir with this one!

I can see the know it all's just a warming up their old typin fingers now!

Bummer is wife took the digital camera away to visit her folks for a few days. :(

:lol: :lol:

~~

Bummer is wife took the digital camera away to visit her folks for a few days.

Oh NO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell the cow to wait~!!!!

We need the PHOTOS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

AngusLimoX":2l467i69 said:
Nobody's gonna run this newbie off!! :lol:

Well maybe the Moderator. ;-) ( With all due respect SIR! ).

PB heifer calf water just broke, let's see what kind of Ka Ka I can stir with this one!

I can see the know it all's just a warming up their old typin fingers now!

Bummer is wife took the digital camera away to visit her folks for a few days. :(

:lol: :lol:
Man, you got it all wrong. When I started this thread, it was to kindly let beginners know that the vet should be the one to turn to in an emergency. There have been times when people have had a bad situation with a cow, and they have consulted the boards instead of calling a vet. Nobody's trying to run you off, but I would see to it that I grew a little bit tougher hide if I were you. Otherwise, you ain't gonna like it here.

ljV":1y9be2ns said:
Problem is that beginners don't know what constitutes an emergency.

You are gonna find a lot of so called experts don't either.

You buck up my lad, I saw your post on vet websites ( sorry others had any response I could have offered covered, all I had was Merks ) and you are doing the right things. And you now know a lot better than some experts in here about calving signs now!

Keep studying and learning what you can and don't let anyone, especially anyone in here, discourage you! :)

You wanna have some fun in here?

Watch someone ask a question, then watch how many reply with the same answer, very little variance. Watch the order they reply in, and who they are. Give it a while then lemme know if you had a laugh! If it doesn't work out then maybe you will know we got some of em thinking. :lol: :lol: