Call duck paralyzed?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
This board is for "everything else" so here goes...

I hatched 3 Call Ducks about 3 months ago and now one of them can't stand up. She's healthy, eats/drinks fine but only sits in the pen. I picked her up to see if she had broken a leg or something but didn't find anything abnormal with her. Just wondering if anyone has Call Ducks and if you have any idea as to her problem.

Thanks-Scott

I'll be optimisitc... Sometimes domestic fowl will get fed so well and grow so fast that parts of bodies will not develop quite as quickly as other parts.... It could be that this is the case and its legs can not support either its body weight, balance, or both...
If it has a pond to play in (letting the water support it's body) strength can come back gradually as it tries to climb out of the pond...
Then on the other hand you might be able to find a little wheel chair at your local feed store! :D

These Call Ducks are small. I also noticed when I picked him up that his toes are all together, I mean his toes aren't spread apart like normal duck feet. He was fine 'till a few days ago. I'm sure there is something wrong with the legs/feet.

I have no problem with killing him, I just give everything a shot to make it.

Does it have a pool to play in? When growing ducks, they need access to a swimming pool or bucket so they can develop their leg muscles.

millstreaminn":34phrvsk said:
This board is for "everything else" so here goes...

I hatched 3 Call Ducks about 3 months ago and now one of them can't stand up. She's healthy, eats/drinks fine but only sits in the pen. I picked her up to see if she had broken a leg or something but didn't find anything abnormal with her. Just wondering if anyone has Call Ducks and if you have any idea as to her problem.

Thanks-Scott

Well, it is not likely to get better - sounds genetic to me. Lots of birds - especially chickens get like this.

Neck snapping time.

Bez>

Its probably a vitamin deficiency. I think its D but I can't remember. Take all of them to vet and he can give them a shot and the feet will straighten out like magic. If not, they will all look like they got polio.

Jogeephus":29causqc said:
Its probably a vitamin deficiency. I think its D but I can't remember. Take all of them to vet and he can give them a shot and the feet will straighten out like magic. If not, they will all look like they got polio.

I would make his 'deficiency' your 'supplement'!!!

Horticattleman":1dpy8t66 said:
Jogeephus":1dpy8t66 said:

Yeah those things are mighty tasty! Specially stuffed with mandarine oranges and wrapped in bacon.

But seriously, I had some Easter Ducks and one of 'ems feet started curling up and he was dragging it and the toes were all curled up. Turned out it was some vitamin missing from the food - just can't remember which.

These Calls are only about 3/4 the size of a pigeon... :D

I've raised Calls, Khakis, Toulouse Geese (what a mess they make) :shock: :shock: :shock: , Mandarins and Wood Ducks all on Blue Seal and Purina Mazurri water foul feed. The Purina is supposed to be the best there is. I'm not saying it's not a deficiency it's just that with what I'm feeding (paying) it shouldn't be.

Latest posts