California to give IOU's??

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
:shock: an excerpt:

Roughly $3 billion worth of IOUs will be issued in July unless a compromise on closing the deficit is reached quickly. They will be sent to state contractors, college students, welfare recipients, low-income seniors, the disabled and others who depend on or deliver state services. Counties will not get paid for social programs they administer.

The full article: http://news.aol.com/article/california-ious/551466

MO_cows":3oidb69d said:
:shock: an excerpt:

Roughly $3 billion worth of IOUs will be issued in July unless a compromise on closing the deficit is reached quickly. They will be sent to state contractors, college students, welfare recipients, low-income seniors, the disabled and others who depend on or deliver state services. Counties will not get paid for social programs they administer.

The full article: http://news.aol.com/article/california-ious/551466

WELFARE RECIPIENTS??? IOU's????? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

The govt there has been giving IOU's for months now, people not getting their tax refunds, etc.. That state is in serious financial trouble, I think I just read that Arnold wants it declared bankrupt.

GMN

I guess they are next in line for a bailout, 'cause with an economy larger than some nations, Kalifornia is "too big to fail". These are getting to be scary times!

One side says "raise taxes and drive the tax payers out of state". The other side says "reduce spending and stop bribing illegal aliens with govt perks". A difference of opinion. They should figure out something before the crash in 2 weeks.

Naturally, when services get cut, seniors and the disabled are the first to go. I've been talking to folks from Cali on the Alzheimer's boards who can't get adult protective services to investigate allegations of abuse because of budget cuts. What's next? Closing old folks homes? Taking away wheelchairs?

I bet there's plenty of fat that can be trimmed in state government other than those. Stop providing services for illegals. Citizens first. If you don't have the documentation, then walk back across the bridge.

Naturally, when services get cut, seniors and the disabled are the first to go. I've been talking to folks from Cali on the Alzheimer's boards who can't get adult protective services to investigate allegations of abuse because of budget cuts. What's next? Closing old folks homes? Taking away wheelchairs?

Lammie....you changed the subject without realizing it.....this is what will happen with the new National Health Care plan.

TexasBred":voonj7ln said:

Lammie....you changed the subject without realizing it.....this is what will happen with the new National Health Care plan.

Baby Boomers had better hope not. Alzheimer's is not a disease that Medicare covers. If you don't have long term disability insurance then you are screwed with this disease. And if you have enough savings to get you through it, then you have to be careful that greedy relatives don't screw you out of it. There is a ton of family exploitation of the elderly out there.

Nursing home admissions are actually on the decline as parents of aging parents choose to keep them at home. That's all well and good, except for their motives, which sometimes involves greed, wanting the house, the money, the stuff... If you didn't get the chance to see it, get on Primetime's "Family Secrets" on ABC.com to see one family "caring" for mother at home. It will make you cry and I'm sure it's going on everywhere. Say what you will about nursing homes. They are at least regulated. Not to say that all families are exploiting loved ones. It's just too tempting for some folks, though.

Alzheimer's is out there, folks. It's gonna be a nightmare when the Boomers start to get it.

backhoeboogie":d2dmb311 said:
The U.S. is next.

Can I send the IRS an IUO next April?

Yes. They will charge you compound interest. Unless you are self-employed, they seem to be satisfied with each employer paycheck you earn which is interest free to them.

Yep, 10% interest and 5% penalties, adds up in a hurry! I'm going to have a party if they ever shut down the IRS, I'd vote for Fair Tax in a minute over them, they are ruthless!

Lammie":18lvmjqy said:
TexasBred":18lvmjqy said:

Baby Boomers had better hope not. Alzheimer's is not a disease that Medicare covers. If you don't have long term disability insurance then you are screwed with this disease. And if you have enough savings to get you through it, then you have to be careful that greedy relatives don't screw you out of it. There is a ton of family exploitation of the elderly out there.

Nursing home admissions are actually on the decline as parents of aging parents choose to keep them at home. That's all well and good, except for their motives, which sometimes involves greed, wanting the house, the money, the stuff... If you didn't get the chance to see it, get on Primetime's "Family Secrets" on ABC.com to see one family "caring" for mother at home. It will make you cry and I'm sure it's going on everywhere. Say what you will about nursing homes. They are at least regulated. Not to say that all families are exploiting loved ones. It's just too tempting for some folks, though.

Alzheimer's is out there, folks. It's gonna be a nightmare when the Boomers start to get it.

Nursing homes scare me. I think they suck the life out of older people, and not all are that great, there is plenty that goes on behind the scenes in them too.

GMN

I think that not all nursing homes are bad. My dad just thrives where he is. He's going to be in the July 4th parade tomorrow, he does physical therapy, me makes hommade ice cream for the residents, he's on the resident's committee. They have a really good activities director and she knew Dad from when her dad and mine were ranching together. The ranch where Dad was a foreman and her dad co-owned a bull. Cindy's great. And I advocate for him a lot. I think that family involvement helps a lot in terms of the quality of care one receives. I had some issues with Mom when she was there but it was hard to tell if her decline was a part of her dementia, her stokes, medication or a combination. Dad's actually gotten better emotionally since he's been there. Especially since Mom passed. I think it drained all his energy.

It's a lot better for him than sitting alone in his house all day.