California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

Boy or boy........ Do you not have a job? Why are you on the computer so much. I'll go ahead and tell you why i am. Been babysitting my grandkids because my kids work at the school and went back this week. So i have kids ages 9 to 3 in my house all week until today though, i dont have kids but a dentist appointment to get a implant... so, while its raining and i wait, i'm goofin on my computer. Expect me to be on here more while i recover....lol... I'd rather be in my tractor mowing.
Sorry about your discomfort...

Okay... so me asking questions is "argument"... and you digging in your heels and not considering others is just opinion.

Sure glad you are here to inform me about the difference.

And in answer to my questions... I think the answer is, "NO!" except for the last question... which is, "yes".

And yeah, you are entitled to your opinion and I would defend your right to that opinion and your right to express it. I just object to people forming opinions without considering what the ramifications are, the unintended consequences, and ramming it down other people's throats by voting for restrictions we all have to live with.
Travlr, you are playing chess with a pigeon.

Attachments

• arguing with pigeons.jpg
    arguing with pigeons.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 22
Does the calf "feel" bad for having been an unwilling participant?

I've always been told Bovines don't have emotions.

That being said, the animals usually get up and walk off like nothing ever happened. Now if they had reason/feelings you'd think they would quit running and that would put the kibosh on that huh?
What do you mean by "emotions," Murray? All vertebrate animals have feelings, personalities, likes and dislikes, etc., even including most humans.

When I was in nthsra every rodeo had a photographer that took pictures of every rider and sold them for a few bucks at the next show. Pretty common practice.
I still got most of em around here. I find it odd how most of the old rodeo cowboys you talk to have "lost all they're pictures"... 😂

When I was in nthsra every rodeo had a photographer that took pictures of every rider and sold them for a few bucks at the next show. Pretty common practice.
I still got most of em around here. I find it odd how most of the old rodeo cowboys you talk to have "lost all they're pictures"... 😂

I have 2.. could not afford any more, was always envious of the people who could get them. But, I'd always look at mine. I had a 300 dollar horse i trained, $125 sears roebuck saddle, boots i found on sale for 1$ that did not fit but they were boots, and the spirit to run. 1661457870089.png

I have 2.. could not afford any more, was always envious of the people who could get them. But, I'd always look at mine. I had a 300 dollar horse i trained, $125 sears roebuck saddle, boots i found on sale for 1$ that did not fit but they were boots, and the spirit to run. View attachment 20505
In black and white!
Showing ur age...
Or just too cheap for the color version?
😆

That's too kool.

I have 2.. could not afford any more, was always envious of the people who could get them. But, I'd always look at mine. I had a 300 dollar horse i trained, $125 sears roebuck saddle, boots i found on sale for 1$ that did not fit but they were boots, and the spirit to run. View attachment 20505
I'll admit. Mom bought the fancy chaps to go to state finals... didn't make it.
IMG_20220825_155022.jpgIMG_20220825_155041.jpg

In black and white!
Showing ur age...
Or just too cheap for the color version?
😆

That's too kool.
This was around 1976ish.. I believe most were b/w. But if there were a color version, i wouldnt have been able to afford it. Who knows how i paid for this one. Maybe i talked my grandparents in buying it. Maybe i sold a few things i made to buy it. I have this one and another. I had no parents who knew anything about horses, i did it on my own. I made candles and macramé owls and sold them door to door since i wasnt old enough to work for a business. And even when i did go to work, my car got 7 mpg, gas was 1.00 and i made 1.88 an hour dipping fish out of aquariums 10 miles from where i lived.. Kids today dont know how bad the recession was, i grew up in it and knew no different. Made us save every penny to buy the things we dreamed of having.

A bit of a looker in your day cowgirl.

Ken

I read this whole thing. I am new here, but I'll go aheadand brave the flames. What is the matter with you people ganging up and insulting a person like that? A person is allowed in the United States of America to have an opinion. Cowgirl8 is a working ranch woman, not some keyboard Karen typing in suburbia. She is not joining PETA, going to demonstrations or pouring paint on people's fur coats. She simply said she does not like calf roping as a competative money paying sport because to her it seems cruel.

Sure roping is sometimes necessary to doctor sick cattle and calves or ID stock in the real world, She said that, nothing wrong with her expressing her opinion. But most people ease up and let a sick calf go forward instead of busting them roughly at the end of a rope in a timed event.

Whatever happend to western cowboy chivalry? I know it still exists. My husband has it. Cowboy chivalry came from the Mexican caballeros. For instance, one time back when my husband and I were friends, and we were friends for 40 years before we were married, we went to a bull sale in west Texas. We were walking around the arena looking at the bulls that would be in the sale. A tall cowboy that Jarad knew came over. Jarad introduced me and the man lifted his hat but did not look directly at me. They had a conversation and the cowboy turned to leave and lifted his hat to me again but did not glance my way. I asked Jarad Why did he not look at me? Its like he did not see me. He said Oh he was looking at you alright. He was looking at you all over with his peripheral vision. But it is not considered polite to look at another man's woman especially if she is good looking. Cowboys are polite and always help anyone who needs help, even strangers. This is western chivalry, they don't insult women with differing opinions. They say OK mam, have a nice day and walk off.

Latest posts