California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

I sure hope it is Cowgirl8 that you say isn't arguing honestly!! If not, then you tell which calves in the video I commented on that ALAcowman posted, were " jerked down" and/or "choked". I do not use Google. My God I didnt think anyone does besides AOC and Nancy Paloosey and the like. May as well ask Cobert or Maddow or Mahr if something is true or not as to use Google. People who want un-filtered, un-biassed searches use duckduckgo search engine and ccleaner browser. Do you not know who SHARK is that posted those youtube videos? Did you know that if you jerk a calf down and have to get it back up, then flank it, you are out of the money?

Last edited:
I sure hope it is Cowgirl8 that you say isn't arguing honestly!! If not, then you tell which calves in the video I commented on that ALAcowman posted, were " jerked down" and/or "choked". I do not use Google. My God I didnt think anyone does besides AOC and Nancy Paloosey and the like. May as well ask Cobert or Maddow or Mahr if something is true or not as to use Google. People who want un-filtered, un-biassed searches use duckduckgo search engine and ccleaner browser. Do you not know who SHARK is that posted those youtube videos? Did you know that if you jerk a calf down and have to get it back up, then flank it, you are out of the money?
The video you reference is a YouTube.
You know who owns YouTube

You say it doesnt happen, then say it happens.... lol

You say it doesnt happen, then say it happens.... lol
No, honey, I am saying that a calf roper goes above and beyond to make sure it doesn;t happen, and rodeo associations have rules in place to minimize it. I say that it is NOT the animal cruel;ty you and other PETA type snowflakes lie about it being. Even if one is jerked off its feet, it doesn't hurt it..just takes the roper out of the money. Out of the 100's of thousands of calves roped in the US and Canadian rodeos every year, I doubt 5 or 6 are killed or permantly injured. Probably a LOT more people than that twist an ankle on the bleachers each year. Now run along and hug a tree.

No, honey, I am saying that a calf roper goes above and beyond to make sure it doesn;t happen, and rodeo associations have rules in place to minimize it. I say that it is NOT the animal cruel;ty you and other PETA type snowflakes lie about it being. Even if one is jerked off its feet, it doesn't hurt it..just takes the roper out of the money. Out of the 100's of thousands of calves roped in the US and Canadian rodeos every year, I doubt 5 or 6 are killed or permantly injured. Probably a LOT more people than that twist an ankle on the bleachers each year. Now run along and hug a tree.
I'd bet more people get killed in car accidents getting to and from a rodeo than the number of calves that are harmed in rodeos.

As I said earlier, do the benefits outweigh the risks? What are the benefits of calf roping, both as utility and as entertainment?

Some people believe perfection is attainable, but at what expense? Those people would give up everything worth having if they could be perfectly safe. At what price?

I honestly don't care if they jerk em down give em a wedgie and a red belly and eat them alive. But let's argue with some honesty
2 californians and an okie ar caught on safari by a locally known heinous tribe of cannibalistic misfits.

The tribal leader (chief if u will) says they are all gonna die. They are gonna kill em, eat em, feed their bones to the dogs, and build a canoe outta their skin!

But! Says the chief. I am not without heart. U may have one reasonable wish before you die.

The first Californian wants a grand meal.
Caviar, fresh seafood, fine wine etc. The tribes chef prepares the meal and the Californian slowly relishes every bite. Then they kill him. Eat him. Feed his bones to the dogs and build a canoe out of his skin.

The second Californian wants somethin more personal. He's been eyeing that pretty lil tribesgal over there and makes it known that's what he wants. They oblige.
2 minutes later they kill him. Eat him. Feed his bones to the dogs and build a canoe outta his skin.

Now the ol dumb okie has watched all this and he thinks for a minute.
A fork!
All I want is a fork.
The chief says, what the heck? A fork?
Did you not see what we provided for your friends before they died?
They okie says o yeah. But I want a fork.
They get him a fork and goes to stabbing himself all over! Top to bottom. As far as he can reach everywhere!

The chief says Really??? Why the heck you doing that?

Okie looks up, covered in blood, with the biggest grin you can ever imagine.

You may kill me. Eat me. Feed my bones to the dogs, BUT BY GAWD IM GONNA #$%& UP YOUR CANOE!!

My sister in law is a dog parent. You dont even mention hog dog hunting around her. She's on the far far extreme when it comes to dogs. But, lets look at it this way, would people sit by if it wasnt a calf, but rather a dog. Dogs get loose and need doctoring... would you rope a dog like you do a calf for entertainment? Is that OK, and if not, why?

WTH...she gave birth to puppies and raised them? If not, she's not a dog parent, she's a dog owner...and please grow up and realize these animals are not people...

2 californians and an okie ar caught on safari by a locally known heinous tribe of cannibalistic misfits.

The tribal leader (chief if u will) says they are all gonna die. They are gonna kill em, eat em, feed their bones to the dogs, and build a canoe outta their skin!

But! Says the chief. I am not without heart. U may have one reasonable wish before you die.

The first Californian wants a grand meal.
Caviar, fresh seafood, fine wine etc. The tribes chef prepares the meal and the Californian slowly relishes every bite. Then they kill him. Eat him. Feed his bones to the dogs and build a canoe out of his skin.

The second Californian wants somethin more personal. He's been eyeing that pretty lil tribesgal over there and makes it known that's what he wants. They oblige.
2 minutes later they kill him. Eat him. Feed his bones to the dogs and build a canoe outta his skin.

Now the ol dumb okie has watched all this and he thinks for a minute.
A fork!
All I want is a fork.
The chief says, what the heck? A fork?
Did you not see what we provided for your friends before they died?
They okie says o yeah. But I want a fork.
They get him a fork and goes to stabbing himself all over! Top to bottom. As far as he can reach everywhere!

The chief says Really??? Why the heck you doing that?

Okie looks up, covered in blood, with the biggest grin you can ever imagine.

You may kill me. Eat me. Feed my bones to the dogs, BUT BY GAWD IM GONNA #$%& UP YOUR CANOE!!
Impossible. I've yet to meet a Okie that could figure out how to use a fork. ....

I'm surprised that fishing hasn't been targeted by these do gooders, probably because they include a bit of fish in their basically vegetarian diets.

Ken

It has. It's been a while, but I've seen billboards that showed a dog with a hook in its mouth.

I didnt say i also think shes their parent. Where have you been? THey are called fur babies. To me they are dogs.

You're right. They're dogs. As far as I know no humans have given birth to a dog, so they aren't dog parents. They're dog owners. Calling them dog parents and referring to the dogs as babies only helps the people who think animals are equal to people. Maybe you never considered that?

My sister in law is a dog parent. You dont even mention hog dog hunting around her. She's on the far far extreme when it comes to dogs. But, lets look at it this way, would people sit by if it wasnt a calf, but rather a dog. Dogs get loose and need doctoring... would you rope a dog like you do a calf for entertainment? Is that OK, and if not, why?
I've roped one before

It has. It's been a while, but I've seen billboards that showed a dog with a hook in its mouth.

You're right. They're dogs. As far as I know no humans have given birth to a dog, so they aren't dog parents. They're dog owners. Calling them dog parents and referring to the dogs as babies only helps the people who think animals are equal to people. Maybe you never considered that?
Not sure how what i said made anyone think i believe dogs are human. My SIL is a flaming liberal, just pointed out she will shut you down from even talking about hog hunting with dogs, she won't speak to people who do it or heard they did it... But, the reality is, there are people who think this way. I hear all the time how losing a dog is equal to losing a child.... I BEG THE DIFFER on that one. I have a child in the cemetery down the road and I'll tell you for 100%, losing a dog is NOTHING like losing a child. But back to the topic, i still do not like calf roping. Saying ropers are careful is like saying anyone behind the wheel of a car is a great driver. And ropers have to learn and how do they do that, with a calf. I do like the calf dummies though... better than using a calf to learn on. This is basically my opinion, not telling anyone they shouldn't, just the reasons i don't like it. Won't hurt my feelings if its stopped. I see it happening around here, i have nothing to do with it, but like slavery, the world saw nothing wrong with it until they started to 'look' at it. I love horse training though, nothing like a well-trained horse. Thats why i loved the drill team. I rode a very very nice horse, she was a pleasure to ride and i felt safe on her performing.

I re-homed a dog recently. All the people kept calling her a furr baby and my baby and all this other stuff. It was hard to keep a straight face. I was trying to give the dog an opportunity for a good home so I bit my tongue but the whole time I was thinking these people sound ridiculous. I love a good dog and have spent my fair share on good dogs... but they are not my furr baby. That really weird wording imo.

I re-homed a dog recently. All the people kept calling her a furr baby and my baby and all this other stuff. It was hard to keep a straight face. I was trying to give the dog an opportunity for a good home so I bit my tongue but the whole time I was thinking these people sound ridiculous. I love a good dog and have spent my fair share on good dogs... but they are not my furr baby. That really weird wording imo.
My SIL is like, the craziest dog person.. One time, she had this dog that liked eating poop. She was having problems with him overeating it. One day we went to visit her with our 4 kids, i think my son was around 2. We went for a walk on the road and her dog went to eat something on the side of the road and unfortunately for my toddler, he was between her and her dog. She shoved him down to get to the dog. My SIL is a very large strong personality, a lawyer, and there is just no point in correcting her.. I know she felt bad for shoving a 2 yr old down, but, it was all about her dog. She doesnt come around much, thank goodness. When she does she brings her friggen dogs. She lives in Austin... so not much else to add to that other than she helps keep Austin weird.

but like slavery, the world saw nothing wrong with it until they started to 'look' at it.
And again with the "slavery"...

Have you ever considered what the benefits are in calf roping? I mean really. Have you ever sat back and let go of your automatic reaction, you mothering instinct, or whatever else it is that made you decide calf roping was "bad"? Have you ever really taken the time to think about the positive side of it? Have you ever looked at it through someone else's eyes that finds it valuable... and even enjoyable? Or is it just the automatic reaction?

And again with the "slavery"...

Have you ever considered what the benefits are in calf roping? I mean really. Have you ever sat back and let go of your automatic reaction, you mothering instinct, or whatever else it is that made you decide calf roping was "bad"? Have you ever really taken the time to think about the positive side of it? Have you ever looked at it through someone else's eyes that finds it valuable... and even enjoyable? Or is it just the automatic reaction?
Like i said, you're just here to argue. We have a small ranching operation, 2500 acres and 300 mother cows. Must mentioned that in our 40+ years of ranching, we've never had to rope a calf. We've used a rope, but again, i mentioned that if i cant touch a calf, likely there is nothing wrong with it that needs it to be roped. And again i'll say, i do not like calf roping for 'entertainment'. Its sad for the calf and anyone who says it doesnt hurt them is just, well, wrong. Didnt say it should never be done, just not for entertainment. Go back and read if you can. You got mad because i was not responding to you, its because you're just looking for an argument.

Like i said, you're just here to argue. We have a small ranching operation, 2500 acres and 300 mother cows. Must mentioned that in our 40+ years of ranching, we've never had to rope a calf. We've used a rope, but again, i mentioned that if i cant touch a calf, likely there is nothing wrong with it that needs it to be roped. And again i'll say, i do not like calf roping for 'entertainment'. Its sad for the calf and anyone who says it doesnt hurt them is just, well, wrong. Didnt say it should never be done, just not for entertainment. Go back and read if you can. You got mad because i was not responding to you, its because you're just looking for an argument.
Okay... so me asking questions is "argument"... and you digging in your heels and not considering others is just opinion.

Sure glad you are here to inform me about the difference.

And in answer to my questions... I think the answer is, "NO!" except for the last question... which is, "yes".

And yeah, you are entitled to your opinion and I would defend your right to that opinion and your right to express it. I just object to people forming opinions without considering what the ramifications are, the unintended consequences, and ramming it down other people's throats by voting for restrictions we all have to live with.

Okay... so me asking questions is "argument"... and you digging in your heels and not considering others is just opinion.

Sure glad you are here to inform me about the difference.

And in answer to my questions... I think the answer is, "NO!" except for the last question... which is, "yes".
Boy or boy........ Do you not have a job? Why are you on the computer so much. I'll go ahead and tell you why i am. Been babysitting my grandkids because my kids work at the school and went back this week. So i have kids ages 9 to 3 in my house all week until today though, i dont have kids but a dentist appointment to get a implant... so, while its raining and i wait, i'm goofin on my computer. Expect me to be on here more while i recover....lol... I'd rather be in my tractor mowing.

Latest posts