California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

because you're ignoring i dont like it for entertainment purposes. We have to do a lot of things to cows that have to be done, but, it doesnt need to be entertainment. You're just insulting for arguments sakes.. Like a barking dog with no bite, i ignore them unless i feel they need kicked in the head.
Then don't go to rodeos.

Is it necessary for 22 men to fight over a football for entertainment? Catch bass, weigh them and turn them loose? Drive a car fast around a track for 500 laps?!! Or run horses around a mile track? Purposely put up a fence or other barriers to jump your horse over when you could ride around? Or probably the most idiotic, pointless, useless sport of all, chase a little white ball around the countryside with a club?!!! Rodeo has done WONDERS for the continued improvement of the American Quarter horse for sure. Therefor, I deem it necessary. It costs these days probably $15 or so to get in to see a rodeo. Those who don't like it, like, don;t have to go see it.
Exactly!
I've watched a rodeo a rodeo or three.

But I've never kicked a dog in the head

My sister in law is a dog parent. You dont even mention hog dog hunting around her. She's on the far far extreme when it comes to dogs. But, lets look at it this way, would people sit by if it wasnt a calf, but rather a dog. Dogs get loose and need doctoring... would you rope a dog like you do a calf for entertainment? Is that OK, and if not, why?
A dog parent?!!! OMG, she has birthed a puppy?!!! Biologically impossible, hun.

I completely agree about the unnecessary part. And I think that's where some folks get their panties in a wad.
As far as rodeo/sport roping I've never seen the NEED/NECESSITY
But I don't get too riled up about it one way or the other.

That's how I kept my ex for a while too. She chewed thru the harness and made off with a stray eventually anyway.
Last I heard she was in ne Texas somewhere. Don't really miss her.
Shoulda used one of those choker colors I guess.

Calf roping is just wrong...... you cant watch that and not feel sorry for them if you're human. Taken from their mothers too early, jerked down at a full run, choked for entertainment..
Your profile says you are from NE Texas? Like Dallas area or something? It has been 30 years since I rodeoed in east Texas, so things must have really changed! You do not WANT the calf to be " jerked down" m darlin. You have to get it up and flank it before you tie it. Choked? A wel trained horse just keeps enough poressure to keep the slack out of the rope..not even enough force to drag that little calf. And these days you have to use a drag line that you can get hold of in case your horse does back too much and drags the calf. Judge won't flag your time til the calf lays tied for a certain time, and they won't start the time if the horse is backing up sliding the tied calf. You have to remount and walk your horse forward to put slack in the rope, so no choking at all. Are you SURE you go to rodeos in Texas, or are you just repeating something you read on PETA's website? Be honest, now.

The post I saw on this wasn't the entire state it was a city or county. Calf roping was the first thing but it wasn't limited to calf roping. It went on to describe all the events in a rodeo. There is certainly some big ranch country in northern California. And some pretty big well attended rodeos.

Most of the brandings here are rope and drag to the fire. The picture on the front of the phone book sitting here on my desk is of a man riding a horse into a pen of calves swinging a rope. It is a recent picture.
It's a start.
Like gun control.

Your profile says you are from NE Texas? Like Dallas area or something? It has been 30 years since I rodeoed in east Texas, so things must have really changed! You do not WANT the calf to be " jerked down" m darlin. You have to get it up and flank it before you tie it. Choked? A wel trained horse just keeps enough poressure to keep the slack out of the rope..not even enough force to drag that little calf. And these days you have to use a drag line that you can get hold of in case your horse does back too much and drags the calf. Judge won't flag your time til the calf lays tied for a certain time, and they won't start the time if the horse is backing up sliding the tied calf. You have to remount and walk your horse forward to put slack in the rope, so no choking at all. Are you SURE you go to rodeos in Texas, or are you just repeating something you read on PETA's website? Be honest, now.
I performed at rodeos for over 10 years in a high speed drill team in 4 states, every weekend, sometimes 3 nights per weekend. Can i not feel for the calves that are choked down for entertainment?..

I performed at rodeos for over 10 years in a high speed drill team in 4 states, every weekend, sometimes 3 nights per weekend. Can i not feel for the calves that are choked down for entertainment?..
"Choked down" is not an accurate representation of what happens. But it is intentionally inflammatory language intended to provoke an emotional response.

I didnt say i also think shes their parent. Where have you been? THey are called fur babies. To me they are dogs.
Who the hell other than maybe a Yankee liberal, calls a dog a fur baby?!!! All of mine were called by 2 names, depending on what they had done or were doing: Dog, and either SOB, or B*tch.

I honestly don't care if they jerk em down give em a wedgie and a red belly and eat them alive. But let's argue with some honesty
I sure hope it is Cowgirl8 that you say isn't arguing honestly!! If not, then you tell which calves in the video I commented on that ALAcowman posted, were " jerked down" and/or "choked". I do not use Google. My God I didnt think anyone does besides AOC and Nancy Paloosey and the like. May as well ask Cobert or Maddow or Mahr if something is true or not as to use Google. People who want un-filtered, un-biassed searches use duckduckgo search engine and ccleaner browser. Do you not know who SHARK is that posted those youtube videos? Did you know that if you jerk a calf down and have to get it back up, then flank it, you are out of the money?

Latest posts