California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

Calf roping is just wrong...... you cant watch that and not feel sorry for them if you're human. Taken from their mothers too early, jerked down at a full run, choked for entertainment.. I know someone who threw a rope on a guy and his horse spooked and drug the guy around killing him. I've been hit by those ropes and it hurts. I couldnt imagine running for my life and having my feet yanked out from under me much less my neck being yanked. Remember when everyone thought slavery was good.... I dont remember, but it went on for as long as humans have existed.. Guess it took someone to point out how bad it was before people started to look at it in the slaves point of view...
It had to happen...

It always comes down to comparing (whatever) with slavery.

Next we'll start with the Hitler crap...

It had to happen...

It always comes down to comparing (whatever) with slavery.

Next we'll start with the Hitler crap...
Well it does compare I guess in the respect that the calf (the slave) is not a willing participant. Like hog hunting. Dangerous for the dog but not cruel as he's all for it. The hog on the other hand would rather be left alone. Now in real dog fighting everything there is a willing participant so definitely not cruel.
I don't know what Hitler has to do with any of this. That's just ridiculous.

Well it does compare I guess in the respect that the calf (the slave) is not a willing participant. Like hog hunting. Dangerous for the dog but not cruel as he's all for it. The hog on the other hand would rather be left alone. Now in real dog fighting everything there is a willing participant so definitely not cruel.
I don't know what Hitler has to do with any of this. That's just ridiculous.
My sister in law is a dog parent. You dont even mention hog dog hunting around her. She's on the far far extreme when it comes to dogs. But, lets look at it this way, would people sit by if it wasnt a calf, but rather a dog. Dogs get loose and need doctoring... would you rope a dog like you do a calf for entertainment? Is that OK, and if not, why?

My sister in law is a dog parent. You dont even mention hog dog hunting around her. She's on the far far extreme when it comes to dogs. But, lets look at it this way, would people sit by if it wasnt a calf, but rather a dog. Dogs get loose and need doctoring... would you rope a dog like you do a calf for entertainment? Is that OK, and if not, why?
Ya know, the lines around animal cruelty can be drawn in many ways. You keep using trigger words as though they apply... and it doesn't seem that you are interested in the stories and reasons of other people. And you've ignored two of my posts pointing this out. But you ignoring reason and logic doesn't make you right.

You use the example of roping dogs? I see dogs all the time in harnesses, and in my opinion abused by that practice. A harness means an untrained dog. A dog that is mentally confused and uncomfortable its entire life because it doesn't know what it needs to know... and no one is doing the fifteen minutes a day for the month is takes to have a superior companion for life... and a happy dog. And to train a dog properly you use a training collar, not a harness. A collar commonly called a choke chain by people that don't know how they are properly used.

There are more pet dogs abused by being chosen for their cuteness instead of their genetically inherited capabilities, and by never being trained regardless of breed, and then fed until they waddle.

And I'm no expert on roping... but even so I can see you are invested beyond reason in your own point of view and ignoring people that do know.

And this is why California gets a bad rap... because there are so many urban people making the rules for rural people without knowing anything, but voting in their self-righteous ignorance.

Ya know, the lines around animal cruelty can be drawn in many ways. You keep using trigger words as though they apply... and it doesn't seem that you are interested in the stories and reasons of other people. And you've ignored two of my posts pointing this out. But you ignoring reason and logic doesn't make you right.

You use the example of roping dogs? I see dogs all the time in harnesses, and in my opinion abused by that practice. A harness means an untrained dog. A dog that is mentally confused and uncomfortable its entire life because it doesn't know what it needs to know... and no one is doing the fifteen minutes a day for the month is takes to have a superior companion for life... and a happy dog. And to train a dog properly you use a training collar, not a harness. A collar commonly called a choke chain by people that don't know how they are properly used.

There are more pet dogs abused by being chosen for their cuteness instead of their genetically inherited capabilities, and by never being trained regardless of breed, and then fed until they waddle.

And I'm no expert on roping... but even so I can see you are invested beyond reason in your own point of view and ignoring people that do know.

And this is why California gets a bad rap... because there are so many urban people making the rules for rural people without knowing anything, but voting in their self-righteous ignorance.
Good grief

Last edited:
Not just California and we're not talking about 50% of the population. We have 95% of the population that knows nothing about agriculture. We're going to see more of this kind of BS going forward.

Does the calf "feel" bad for having been an unwilling participant?

I've always been told Bovines don't have emotions.

That being said, the animals usually get up and walk off like nothing ever happened. Now if they had reason/feelings you'd think they would quit running and that would put the kibosh on that huh?

You basically just want to argue. For the fun of it, tell me why its ok to rope a calf and not a dog for entertainment? A harness is not a ridged lariat rope with a 1000 pound horse behind it throwing on its breaks, jerking you down at full speed...

That being said, the animals usually get up and walk off like nothing ever happened. Now if they had reason/feelings you'd think they would quit running and that would put the kibosh on that huh?
See how this relates to slavery. I believe owners said that about the slaves, nothing but emotionless animals. If they had feelings, why didnt they just stop working? Most times they outnumbered their owners, why didnt they just attack? Actually this is deeper than i wanted to go, but, i honestly feel if its not needed, it shouldnt be done.. Calf roping is wrong and i stand my ground.

Who cares ...dog roping is the future.
Wonder what kinda dogs.....I'm thinking wiener...

I'm surprised I didn't see anything about that on the news.

You basically just want to argue. For the fun of it, tell me why its ok to rope a calf and not a dog for entertainment? A harness is not a ridged lariat rope with a 1000 pound horse behind it throwing on its breaks, jerking you down at full speed...
I wouldn't have any problem roping a dog... if it was necessary.

You continue to ignore that calf roping has been necessary and still is a valuable skill. And it all comes down to this in the end... does the benefit outweigh the risk?

Can you answer that question truthfully from the perspective of more than your own limited knowledge and experience?

See how this relates to slavery. I believe owners said that about the slaves, nothing but emotionless animals. If they had feelings, why didnt they just stop working? Most times they outnumbered their owners, why didnt they just attack? Actually this is deeper than i wanted to go, but, i honestly feel if its not needed, it shouldnt be done.. Calf roping is wrong and i stand my ground.
Comparing calf roping to slavery is disingenuous... and a weak person's attempt to inflame the conversation using false comparisons.

I completely agree about the unnecessary part. And I think that's where some folks get their panties in a wad.
As far as rodeo/sport roping I've never seen the NEED/NECESSITY
But I don't get too riled up about it one way or the other.
I use a harness on my dog because her neck is bigger than her head... never knew it was cruel... 😂
That's how I kept my ex for a while too. She chewed thru the harness and made off with a stray eventually anyway.
Last I heard she was in ne Texas somewhere. Don't really miss her.

I wouldn't have any problem roping a dog... if it was necessary.

You continue to ignore that calf roping has been necessary and still is a valuable skill. And it all comes down to this in the end... does the benefit outweigh the risk?

Can you answer that question truthfully from the perspective of more than your own limited knowledge and experience?
because you're ignoring i dont like it for entertainment purposes. We have to do a lot of things to cows that have to be done, but, it doesnt need to be entertainment. You're just insulting for arguments sakes.. Like a barking dog with no bite, i ignore them unless i feel they need kicked in the head.

because you're ignoring i dont like it for entertainment purposes. We have to do a lot of things to cows that have to be done, but, it doesnt need to be entertainment. You're just insulting for arguments sakes.. Like a barking dog with no bite, i ignore them unless i feel they need kicked in the head.
And what about exposing people to real life situations that they don't get a chance to see in their own lives? You know... those people that vote without understanding what they are voting on or how it affects the people in the business?

How many restrictions are you willing to put up with if it is me making the decisions concerning how you live?

I completely agree about the unnecessary part. And I think that's where some folks get their panties in a wad.
As far as rodeo/sport roping I've never seen the NEED/NECESSITY
But I don't get too riled up about it one way or the other.
Is it necessary for 22 men to fight over a football for entertainment? Catch bass, weigh them and turn them loose? Drive a car fast around a track for 500 laps?!! Or run horses around a mile track? Purposely put up a fence or other barriers to jump your horse over when you could ride around? Or probably the most idiotic, pointless, useless sport of all, chase a little white ball around the countryside with a club?!!! Rodeo has done WONDERS for the continued improvement of the American Quarter horse for sure. Therefor, I deem it necessary. It costs these days probably $15 or so to get in to see a rodeo. Those who don't like it, like, don;t have to go see it.

Latest posts