California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

Where is the multiple upvote button?

THIS... "Politicians listen too much to the extremists who make all the noise."

AND THIS... "They fund enquiries and throw money at experts to give their opinion. The experts think this is alright, easy money so tell them what they want to hear so more money gets thrown their way. It's self propagating."

And no one ever talks to anyone at an agricultural school or anyone with dirt under their fingernails.

This...yes this... why talk to the people that actually do the work and are the stewards of the land when you can talk to the people that sit in offices and study the "science"?

I really love the town meetings we have. A bunch of people from metro So Cal have moved here and they seem to think we should listen to "back in California we did this". I asked, 1 time, if it was so great there, why did you move here? They have every right to move where they want, but to turn the places they move into So Cal is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. They don't call on me any more...

That's because you never roped and doctored one on open range..wonder which is more cruel..just letting it die ?
These calves are not open range while at a rodeo. My rules on a calf are, if you cant catch it, there is nothing wrong with it. If i can get close to it and or touch it, well, then i dont need to get a horse. I just rope it on foot or on my 4wheeler. We've used ropes on cows to pull calves in the pasture, but we do it by hand. We've run a family ranch for over 45 years with an average of 300 cows with just my husband and i, good set of corrals and cows that are cooperative.

I'm speaking about Australia, things are just too democratic here. Politicians listen too much to the extremists who make all the noise. They fund enquiries and throw money at experts to give their opinion. The experts think this is alright, easy money so tell them what they want to hear so more money gets thrown their way. It's self propagating.
An example is our Great Barrier Reef, it was doom and gloom money was thrown at James Cook University to research what was going on and they kept giving doom and gloom reports so more money was thrown their way, new research boats, more doom and gloom, more money. It has now come to light that the reef is in the best condition that it has been for decades, any areas of bleaching and dying of coral has completely regenerated.

Ken
Ken, you made a very accurate statement…"too democratic" could not say it more accurate…there are people from Australia want to settle, I guess some had enough

I'm speaking about Australia, things are just too democratic here. Politicians listen too much to the extremists who make all the noise. They fund enquiries and throw money at experts to give their opinion. The experts think this is alright, easy money so tell them what they want to hear so more money gets thrown their way. It's self propagating.
An example is our Great Barrier Reef, it was doom and gloom money was thrown at James Cook University to research what was going on and they kept giving doom and gloom reports so more money was thrown their way, new research boats, more doom and gloom, more money. It has now come to light that the reef is in the best condition that it has been for decades, any areas of bleaching and dying of coral has completely regenerated.

Ken

That's the problem with colleges and universities. Once they are sucking on the tit of government it's hard to wean them off of it. I bet if all that government money for climate change dried up climate change would go away. Would not here another thing about it.

This...yes this... why talk to the people that actually do the work and are the stewards of the land when you can talk to the people that sit in offices and study the "science"?

I really love the town meetings we have. A bunch of people from metro So Cal have moved here and they seem to think we should listen to "back in California we did this". I asked, 1 time, if it was so great there, why did you move here? They have every right to move where they want, but to turn the places they move into So Cal is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. They don't call on me any more...
When I lived in Craig Colorado we had a neighbor that moved from California, and as soon as he got there he said that you need these regulations, and the reason he moved was because of to many regulations. He only stayed about three years before he went back. In my opinion that was the best thing he could ever do, move back to the **** hole came from.

My uncle that lives in Casper new several people that moved from California, and he said most of them moved back within three years. I guess they couldn't handle the Casper wind.

When I lived in Craig Colorado we had a neighbor that moved from California, and as soon as he got there he said that you need these regulations, and the reason he moved was because of to many regulations. He only stayed about three years before he went back. In my opinion that was the best thing he could ever do, move back to the **** hole came from.

My uncle that lives in Casper new several people that moved from California, and he said most of them moved back within three years. I guess they couldn't handle the Casper wind.

I honestly have no issues with people moving where they want, I do have issues with people moving to a place and trying to turn it into the place they left. Again, I believe it's that listening thing, they hear but don't like what they hear so they ignore it or don't understand the message.

I honestly have no issues with people moving where they want, I do have issues with people moving to a place and trying to turn it into the place they left. Again, I believe it's that listening thing, they hear but don't like what they hear so they ignore it or don't understand the message.
I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately some just can't help themselves.

That's because you never roped and doctored one on open range..wonder which is more cruel..just letting it die ?
Roping one on the range can be done much more humanly, a good high powered arena horse is running backwards before the calf hits the end of the Rope increasing the impact.

I kind of weigh it against all the other dangers a calf has as it lives and grows. There are a lot of things far more dangerous than roping to a calf. More calves get kicked to death by their loving mother than get hurt on the end of a rope. Of all the weird crap humans do, the strangest one is trying to make a perfectly safe world for everyone and by doing so destroy so many valuable experiences in life.
It is happing all around us..... Trying to make Utopia is the undoing our world as we knew it...Your words are so true.

We have a lot of them in Texas...!

That reminds me of something I heard a guy say some years ago. People move somewhere because of the low taxes, and then expect curbs and gutters and street lights in front of their house.

It's kind of six of one and a half dozen of another, IMO. Everywhere has their problems, and there are solutions out there if people are willing to think differently. It doesn't have to be bringing a problem along with you to solve a problem when you move.

I came to Utah after living in a dozen states over the years... including California... and I joined the local Chamber of Commerce after being INVITED and told, "We'd love to get some ideas from someone that doesn't live here." (As though I wasn't a resident because I wasn't born locally) And every time I was encouraged to speak up to offer a solution to some kind of problem... the first thing out of their mouth was, "Oh... we don't do it that way here."

I mean LITERALLY... they are looking for solutions to their problems and when someone suggests anything other than what they are already doing and have been doing for years, that is not solving the problem, they say it can't be done because "They don't do it that way."

I mean... where can you go with THAT kind of logic?

To be honest, i dont like calf roping. Hate it. Its cruel. Serves no purpose anymore. We've ranched for over 45 years and never ever roped a calf. I understand the skill it takes, but, look at it from the forced/orphaned calf's perspective. I get no pleasure seeing a young calf being yanked down by its neck while running. Then being choked down by that rope and someone coming over, smashing its body and more on its neck while being tied, then sometimes drug around before being let loose. Its sad, just sad......
Ok for instance you got a case of pink eye you gonna run the whole herd into the catch pens and down the chute…. No thank you I'll dally up and DR in the field

Roped a blind cow while standing in the back of a 1980 Chevy Luv truck my dad was driving. Only cow I ever roped

Ok for instance you got a case of pink eye you gonna run the whole herd into the catch pens and down the chute…. No thank you I'll dally up and DR in the field
We can run our cows into the corrals and i can go in there and on foot, sort that calf out into a pen. Who would run every cow through a chute for one? What ranch TV shows are you watching????? Oh yeah, that was on Yellowstone.

Latest posts