California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

Roping a calf out of necessity is different than for sport. Kind of like the difference between shooting an animal for food vs. shooting it to take a selfie with it.
I kind of weigh it against all the other dangers a calf has as it lives and grows. There are a lot of things far more dangerous than roping to a calf. More calves get kicked to death by their loving mother than get hurt on the end of a rope. Of all the weird crap humans do, the strangest one is trying to make a perfectly safe world for everyone and by doing so destroy so many valuable experiences in life.

Rodeo calf roping, the pros make it look so slick and easy.
IF they were my calves being roped, the ones I'd worry about getting injured
would be in practice sessions by over zealous amateurs and wannbes.
So only experienced ropers should be allowed to rope.
Has the same effect as a ban just takes a little longer.. 😊

I don't like it when they jerk a calf around and nearly break it's neck but they stopped that several years ago. Calf roping is a good sport and I know a few that are exceptional at it. I've never had a cowboy out that ropes a cow or cslf and just jerks it down. Thet generally ride it down and tire it out z little first. We rarely rope one but it's much easier than trying to reason with one. Trying to reason with a cow is kinda like trying to teach a pig to read. It just waste your time and pisses the pig off.

It's no use justifying what you do on here, you are preaching to the converted in most cases. I think being diplomatic with your descriptions would go a long way. Don't flaunt it on the cover of phone books, dragging to the fire replaced with brought to have a permanent ID applied. We need to be proactive and educate the public, demonstrate how much we care for our animals. Mandatory analgesia for basic husbandry procedures won't be far away. Remember they are coming to get us.

Ken

Here for a while everyone went to calf tables. Then ropers and rope horse were getting scarce. Then summer comes along. The cows are often 10 miles or more from the nearest corral and chute. Doctoring a sick calf requires roping. So as much as anything the branding pen is where people and horses learn how to handle a rope and a calf attached to the other end. We literally hold work shops for young people teaching them how to rope and handle cattle. Experienced men and women riding right along side the young people. Nobody is tied hard and fast so if things go sideways toss the rope away and everyone live for another day.

Hi folks, just leave it here. If you are looking for a "normal place" to farm and live. Look at Russia, specifically Siberian region. Plenty of land and grass and no stupid regulations about calve roping and others:)
Except for that whole being frozen thing for 10 out of 12 months.lol Maybe a coastal town like Magadan but even that is still pretty chilly.

Hi folks, just leave it here. If you are looking for a "normal place" to farm and live. Look at Russia, specifically Siberian region. Plenty of land and grass and no stupid regulations about calve roping and others:)
I'm speaking about Australia, things are just too democratic here. Politicians listen too much to the extremists who make all the noise. They fund enquiries and throw money at experts to give their opinion. The experts think this is alright, easy money so tell them what they want to hear so more money gets thrown their way. It's self propagating.
An example is our Great Barrier Reef, it was doom and gloom money was thrown at James Cook University to research what was going on and they kept giving doom and gloom reports so more money was thrown their way, new research boats, more doom and gloom, more money. It has now come to light that the reef is in the best condition that it has been for decades, any areas of bleaching and dying of coral has completely regenerated.

Ken

I'm speaking about Australia, things are just too democratic here. Politicians listen too much to the extremists who make all the noise. They fund enquiries and throw money at experts to give their opinion. The experts think this is alright, easy money so tell them what they want to hear so more money gets thrown their way. It's self propagating.
An example is our Great Barrier Reef, it was doom and gloom money was thrown at James Cook University to research what was going on and they kept giving doom and gloom reports so more money was thrown their way, new research boats, more doom and gloom, more money. It has now come to light that the reef is in the best condition that it has been for decades, any areas of bleaching and dying of coral has completely regenerated.

Ken
That has a familiar ring to it..

Ken
Where is the multiple upvote button?

THIS... "Politicians listen too much to the extremists who make all the noise."

AND THIS... "They fund enquiries and throw money at experts to give their opinion. The experts think this is alright, easy money so tell them what they want to hear so more money gets thrown their way. It's self propagating."

And no one ever talks to anyone at an agricultural school or anyone with dirt under their fingernails.

Where is the multiple upvote button?

THIS... "Politicians listen too much to the extremists who make all the noise."

AND THIS... "They fund enquiries and throw money at experts to give their opinion. The experts think this is alright, easy money so tell them what they want to hear so more money gets thrown their way. It's self propagating."

And no one ever talks to anyone at an agricultural school or anyone with dirt under their fingernails.
Yes, and the politicians listen to money too. Industries that have the means to throw money towards the political machine by way of lobbyists can buy all the influence they need, and in many cases actually dictate policy and regulations to favor their interests.
The extremists have figured out that money talks and are getting on the coattails of whatever influence they can and adding to it.

Yes, and the politicians listen to money too. Industries that have the means to throw money towards the political machine by way of lobbyists can buy all the influence they need, and in many cases actually dictate policy and regulations to favor their interests.
The extremists have figured out that money talks and are getting on the coattails of whatever influence they can and adding to it.
After years of interest in beef and so much misinformation being spread about meat in general... I've begun to be convinced that the sugar industry is actively engaged in diverting attention away from the damages sugar does by putting a spotlight on meat.

Latest posts