california bander

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
anyone use this bander for bigger bulls.i am going to try one. i have ten bulls from #375-#600 to band most of the time i use the knife but the guy thats loaning me the bander sayes this is less stressful.i am going to give shot when i band. any advice on what shots.

Yes, I used it this fall on some 600 lb bulls. It is not a good thing to look at after about two weeks. I do not intend to let my calves get that big again and use the knife at birth or at about two weeks old.
Stretch the band until it is about 1/3 the orginal size or less before clipping it. The only thing good about it you can do the job yourself and do not need help.

I've used it twice on some 500 lb bulls. Both came out OK. Real easy to use.

Hillrancher's right. They ain't pretty to look at for a while.

I have been using another type of bander for a few years, i have not saw the California bander so don't no any thing about it. But i have not had any problems at all with mine. You should give a tetnus shot when you band. with mine i run them back threw the chute in about a week and cut the dead sack off. Its a little ripe sometimes. but works really good.

hillrancher":2tsezh8w said:
Yes, I used it this fall on some 600 lb bulls. It is not a good thing to look at after about two weeks. I do not intend to let my calves get that big again and use the knife at birth or at about two weeks old.
Stretch the band until it is about 1/3 the orginal size or less before clipping it. The only thing good about it you can do the job yourself and do not need help.

I had some 5-6 wts. cut and it wasn't good to look at for 3-4 weeks. Is banding worse?

gabby":2nnm1062 said:
hillrancher":2nnm1062 said:

I had some 5-6 wts. cut and it wasn't good to look at for 3-4 weeks. Is banding worse?

I think it is.

J

I have used the california bander on 700# bulls and it works fine. Like others said, its not pretty after 2-3 weeks. One thing I have found that speeds the process is to cut off the bottom of the scrotum after you apply the band. This allows it everything to dry out and fall off faster.

Like i said band them about a week later run them back threw and cut dead sack off below the band. Bull calves will out grow a steer calf by about a quarter LB. a day just because he still a bull.Why would you cut that extra growth off at two weeks old.

I prefer castrating over banding if you know what your doing. People that don't know what they are doing make either look bad. Castrating they trie but give up and don't call the et and jsut let it go then sell the calf its a real pain to castrate them. People that don't know what they are doing with a bander sometimes don't get both nuts and then you have to go back and cut it out. I think that castrating is less stressful if done in the right conditions. Just my opinion though.

California bander/ Calicrate bander= same concept.

I have used both & got the same results. I will definitely agree that it isn't pretty after a few weeks & it doesn't smell so good either. I always wonder how there aren't more problems when folks use them in the summer with the flies/maggots & such- especially in the warmer parts of the country. It just seems that if you left it alone to fall off as it will, there might be complications. Ours have also had 2 Tetanus shots by the time they are banded. We usually band around 600-700#

We also cut the sack off below the band in 10 days or so & then spray it for flies if needed.

Does this california bander have an infinite sizing ability such as one might need to do a prolapse. The calicrate appears to have little made up bands which would only work for castrating. If any one knows of a surgical tubing bander that is capable of elastrating around a prolapsed uterous I would sure like to find one. :help: