Calgary to Red Deer, AB

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
My first trip to Canada (business) is coming up shortly. I will be flying into Calgary and I have some time that afternoon/evening while I drive to Red Deer. Is there something interesting or something I should not miss to burn up a bit of time that day?

Thank you Canadians on enlightening me!

Michele

One more thing.... Is there something that I could bring from the states that would be appreciated up there? I talk to so many people up there, but this is the first time to meet them in person.

I know when I go to see my brother in California I have to load up with Cheese curds and Johnsonville Brats! Or I am not allowed into his car when he picks me up. The snot. :nod:

Thanks! Michele

mitch2":36covpz4 said:
My first trip to Canada (business) is coming up shortly. I will be flying into Calgary and I have some time that afternoon/evening while I drive to Red Deer. Is there something interesting or something I should not miss to burn up a bit of time that day?

Thank you Canadians on enlightening me!

Michele

Bass Pro?

Come to Canada to visit an American company?

C'mon - they got that south of the border! Plus lots more.

Give poor mitch2 a break.

Something unique would be more realistic.

Try the Glenbow museum in Calgary if you want - worth the time.

Glenbow Museum
130 — 9 Avenue S.E.
Calgary, Alberta
Canada T2G 0P3

Tel: 403-268-4100
Fax: 403-265-9769
Email: [email protected]

Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Good history of Alberta and a great firearms display of old stuff. Yeah, once upon a time Canadians were actually able to carry firearms without legal or political hassle.

Pretty much a major multi-lane highway all the way to RD - not much to do but drive - and it is a short drive

Big hills on the left as you go to RD and big hills on the right as you go to Calgary.

How much time you got?

Bez+

I lived in Edmonton Alberta for a couple of years and a place very close to Red Deer that we thought was pretty cool was a little town called Sylvan lake. It's kind of cute. It's looks like a little holiday seaside resort town except for the fact it's in between the Rockies and the praries. Lots of beach umbrellas, buckets and spades, Colourful kids floaty things, icecreams. Coming from Australia we thought it was kinda cool. It's probibly a 15-20 minute drive from Red Deer.

Andrew

Been to Calgary several times, Edmonton once, Saskatoon and Kerobert and the Northwest territory. Canada's a nice place in the Summer time, not so much in the Winter. If you have time go see Banff (sp) and maybe Lake Louise.

Are you driving alone or with someone as I have a great little side trip for you to take and you will see the most beautiful scenery in the world, that many even the locals have never scene. You head out to Sundre and take the trunk road over to Rocky Mountain House, but if you are driving by yourself it is not appropriate as cell phone reception is not that good.

I would say meet me at the lake (pine lake) and we'll take the river boat out for an afternoon. We ranch 5 minutes east of there. I spent many summers in Sylvan as my parents owned and still own a few renal apartment buildings , it is way to congested now though. It is 10 minutes west of Red Deer head west on highway 11.

As far as Bass Pro it is in a mall that has just put another 30 000 people back to work after the huge economic crunch Alberta has suffered and they even carry Canadian made products which I am all for.. :)

I agree though with the others you need to drive around and see the mountains and the Royal Tyrrell Museum is a must see for everyone. :nod:
http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

Where are you staying in Red Deer Michelle ? I can probably let you know of some really good restaurants in that area for you to try.

lavacarancher":2439v3f4 said:
Been to Calgary several times, Edmonton once, Saskatoon and Kerobert and the Northwest territory. Canada's a nice place in the Summer time, not so much in the Winter. If you have time go see Banff (sp) and maybe Lake Louise.

Skiers and snowmobilers that come from all over the world would disagree with you about that.. ;-)

I fly into Calgary about 1pm on a Sunday and not leaving until the following Friday mid-morning. I believe my whole stay will be in Red Deer - unless something changes. I am thinking most evenings I will be left to fend for myself. I think Sunday is going to be one of my best days to take in something. I will be by myself and it can be a bit daunting being someplace new, but I would like to see a few things. Thanks for the replies and give me some details!

Thanks!

Michele

I don't know if anyone quite has a store like Bass Pro Sports. It is huge and the taxidermy displays are better than any museum I've ever seen. Lots of food prep stuff and antique stuff. They really should be charging $10 at the door for admission!
It's right off the highway a few miles from the airport in Calgary. You can't miss it.
The Balzac mall(basically lots of big box stores) just officially opened and they had record crowds in the first 5 days.
I live just south of Red Deer. Not a lot to do in Red Deer but Bower ponds and Three Mile Bend are nice natural areas with walking paths etc. and Heritage ranch is a fairly good tourist attraction.

hillsdown":3ivrn4hn said:
Are you driving alone or with someone as I have a great little side trip for you to take and you will see the most beautiful scenery in the world, that many even the locals have never scene. You head out to Sundre and take the trunk road over to Rocky Mountain House, but if you are driving by yourself it is not appropriate as cell phone reception is not that good.

I would say meet me at the lake (pine lake) and we'll take the river boat out for an afternoon. We ranch 5 minutes east of there. I spent many summers in Sylvan as my parents owned and still own a few renal apartment buildings , it is way to congested now though. It is 10 minutes west of Red Deer head west on highway 11.

As far as Bass Pro it is in a mall that has just put another 30 000 people back to work after the huge economic crunch Alberta has suffered and they even carry Canadian made products which I am all for.. :)

I agree though with the others you need to drive around and see the mountains and the Royal Tyrrell Museum is a must see for everyone. :nod:
http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

Where are you staying in Red Deer Michelle ? I can probably let you know of some really good restaurants in that area for you to try.

Best advice is above

I am in total disagreement with those who recommend stopping at a store - but that is me. Besides - you got Bass Pro south of the border - not much new here.

STAY OUT OF THE STORES - that is not Canada - it is a retail trap you can find in any country and does not define us.

Good grief - you can shop all over the world.

Sylvan Lake? A bloody metropolis now - meets my definition of a major city - growth has been huge and I now avoid it when I go to that part of the world.

No more on that from me as I do not want to pee off a couple of good folks.

Royal Tyrrell is excellent - been there many times and I would go again. Might be a bit far for you on the time you have available.

The drive suggested is a darned good one. Yeah, I have done it alone many times.

Heck forget the drive - go meet Hillsdown - rumour has it this person is actually friendly and sort of representative of the rural western Canadian community! :D I would drive in any direction to share one coffee with this family - if only to say I had done it. By the way - a couple hours in any direction will put you at a lot of kitchen tables. And - Bonus! - No one will refuse to feed you. :D

Out and back to Hillsdown would fit almost any early afternoon off and back later in the evening.

Canadians tend to drive a few hours each way for coffee and a visit with little thought - as distance are larger in Canada between centres and good friends are always worth the travel.

Whatever you do - enjoy

Bez+

That's a shame to hear about Sylvan lake. It was 7 years ago that we were there. Another option That we found really cool was Drumheller and Dinasour provincial park. It's a little east of Calgary and Red Deer. The world's largest museum of paleontology (dinasours) is there and you can visit real dig sites.

Andrew

hillsdown":gsycqjvb said:
lavacarancher":gsycqjvb said:

Skiers and snowmobilers that come from all over the world would disagree with you about that.. ;-)

I'm sure they would. When I was there in the Winter it was February and colder than a witches .... well, it was cold. The day I landed in Calgary was the first day in 30 days it had been above 30 below zero. It was 28 degrees below zero - a heat wave.

I'm a flatlander from S. Texas. 50 degrees is cold enough to break out the long johns. :D

Latest posts