Calfs with Navel Infection.

Help Support CattleToday:

Cnfletcher

Reaction score
Lately I've been having trouble with Navel infections in my bottle calfs, I've tried separating and applying iodine and a shot of antibiotics, but it's doing no good. They just keep suckling on each other 24-7. Any advice on what to do? I don't want them permanently separated though. Help please

Feed a little more and use a teat they have to work on to get the milk out. That should help with the cross-suckling.
Consider the total scenario too - the calves may have a compromised immune system from stress/not enough shelter/not enough colostrum or something of the sort. Calves sucking each other should not cause navel infections.

What % is the iodine? I water it down generally, as the stuff that is 7-10%+ is too strong and acts like it burns the naval and seems to make them swell up more than if they didn't have it. I also don't bother with it in dry times, only if they are in wet conditions, or born in a barn that could have past bugs around (which yours sounds like it could fall under) otherwise in clean dry pastures, they don't get it.

Latest posts