calf's tongue hangs out

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have a calf about 10 days old that keeps his tongue hanging out most of the time.. at about 2 days old he had the scours and i treated him with biosol (neomysin)..which quickly cleared that up.. now he doesnt seem to have as much energy as the rest of the calves and his tongue hangs out a lot.. is there something i am missing here or is this tongue thing normal? any help would be appreciated.. gene

[email protected]

A calf's tongue hanging out is never normal. He may have entotoxin damage post diarrhea, neomycin toxicity (I don't know how much you gave), a septicemia affecting his brain....probably other things I'm just not thinking of without seeing the calf. Your vet would be able to help you better than I! Good Luck! V

> A calf's tongue hanging out is
> never normal. He may have
> entotoxin damage post diarrhea,
> neomycin toxicity (I don't know
> how much you gave), a septicemia
> affecting his brain....probably
> other things I'm just not thinking
> of without seeing the calf. Your
> vet would be able to help you
> better than I! Good Luck! V

what is entotoxin damage? i gave him 5cc of biosol.. not much but enough for his size.. 80# 5cc is dosage for 100# thanks gene

[email protected]

Endotoxins are poisons within bacteria which are generally given off when the bacteria is dying. Antibiotics can make this worse temporarily. Not all bacteria contain endotoxins, but certain E. coli certainly do! What can endotoxins do? Well, just think of what damage E.coli can do in humans--kidney failure, brain damage etc..... As for the dose of Biosol, if you're overdosing by 25% (by your own calculation) it could possibly be enough in a comprimized animal. I'd still recommend you speak to your vet! V

Latest posts