Calfs in Missouri

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboybeef":1nxsw3xe said:
okay so my parents said i might get a calf to show but it has to be a good price notin fancy a beef heifer between $100-400

you will go through that much in feed.

If that is your real budget, you might want to think about some type of other animal. You can't get a good salebarn calf for $400, let alone something that is respectable for showing. $800-$1000 is probably the very low end for a respectable show calf. As others alluded to, the cost of the calf is only part of the overall cost. You'll wind up with around $1000 in feed, hay, water, etc. Not to mention the hours involved. Other animals like pigs and sheep don't require quite the financial investment calves do. Make some money there so that you can afford a respectable calf.

ill sell ya a good one for 100-400. she is invisble colored and should win a lot. wont cost anything to feed her either. but on the other hand you should really just buy another type of species.

Okay, I really don't know how the show circuit works in America, but I was in the same situation when I started showing steers. I didn't come off a farm so my parents didn't have any animals I could show, and I went to a public school with not a lot of money to buy animals. The way we got around this was to approach local breeders. They donated a steer in return for having us promote their stud. We looked after the steer, fed it, etc but it kept their herd prefix and at the show there was always a sign saying 'donated by ______'. I don't know if this is possible in your situation but maybe you could talk to some of the breeders in your area. If they weren't willing to give you the steer outright, we have had steers that we were donated half shares in - breeder got half the money at the end.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Don't let the high prices of showing discourage you, you will have a great time.

anyway that is not the problem mony is not it it is that i dont have any land my grandma does but my cousin and me dont get along and that is where he keeps his show calf i just need a place to put it and i could show

I don't know what part of Missouri you're from, but the Heartland Limousin Breeders of Missouri donate heifers to young people to show. You have to fill out an application and you have to show the heifer at least three times in local shows. At the October Limousin sale in Lebanon the heifers are sold and you get half the money and the owner that donated gets half the money. This year there were 31 young people that got to show cattle that couldn't afford one of their own. The part about not having any ground to keep it on could be a problem as you have to spend a lot of time with show cattle. You can find more information about the program (called Cody) at http://www.hmlba.com.

Latest posts