Calfs dyeing after processing

Help Support CattleToday:

T.W.cattle509

Reaction score
I have some questions about my calfs.
I had a vet come out and castrate 4 now they are all dead with in 3 days not sure why ?

T.W.cattle509":1wsbm8e3 said:
I have some questions about my calfs.
I had a vet come out and castrate 4 now they are all dead with in 3 days not sure why ?
Knife cut or banded? Did they have any symptoms?

dun":y5bdbo11 said:
What did the vet say when you told him?

This would be my first step as well.

It seems to me that if they were banded, it was tetanus. If they were cut they bled out - and / or tetanus.

That really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

callmefence":xkcfpm7b said:
You should be able to castrate 4 on any moon with a dirty chainsaw and have better results.

Your 100% right Fence. A chainsaw would do a lot more tearing and stretching blood vessels as opposed to a scalpel cut where bleeding at its max. I doubt that an infection would be an issue with the chainsaw as it would take a lot of skin off as well giving good drainage.

Ken

You are supposed to take the burdizzo off and not leave it attached !

Why am I squirming around in my chair so much in this one post wonder thread ??? lol

wbvs58":3y2rc3je said:
callmefence":3y2rc3je said:
You should be able to castrate 4 on any moon with a dirty chainsaw and have better results.

Your 100% right Fence. A chainsaw would do a lot more tearing and stretching blood vessels as opposed to a scalpel cut where bleeding at its max. I doubt that an infection would be an issue with the chainsaw as it would take a lot of skin off as well giving good drainage.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I try to help out when I can.. :D

I'm just not good enough with a Stihl to be cutting that close to the someone's hand that is holding the nutsack.............would a cordless recip saw work almost as good? ;-)

Sure hope he finds out what went wrong.

Wouldn't a chain saw rip the cords instead of cutting the cords? Cutting the cord with a sharp knife is a good way to have one or 4 bleed out. It's a shame folks don't check back in to learn a little something.

True Grit Farms":2arihk8r said:
Wouldn't a chain saw rip the cords instead of cutting the cords? Cutting the cord with a sharp knife is a good way to have one or 4 bleed out. It's a shame folks don't check back in to learn a little something.

Now days, they are spinning horse testicles with a drill until they fall off. It seals everything.

Bigfoot":2d5rsa13 said:
True Grit Farms":2d5rsa13 said:

Now days, they are spinning horse testicles with a drill until they fall off. It seals everything.

I've got a LA vet uses that same method with bull calves. Uses a cordless drill.

I believe dun has seen this method used.

And yes, I believe the OP is a 1-post wonder.

Latest posts