Calfing

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Could someone tell me how long after a cow starts to produce milk will she calf. I have these 2 heifers that seem to be produce milk, I believe that they only produce milk for calving? These heifers were bought at auction and I did not know they were expecting. Are there any clues like a mare who will wax up and begin to drip?

[email protected]

A cow only produces milk when she calves. Do you know how old they are? Could these heifers have lost a calf and have not dried up yet? I'd think if they were bred heifers, the owner would have had them preg checked at the sale barn and let everyone know they were bred. Bred heifers are worth more than open heifers at the sale barn. Good luck...

> Could someone tell me how long
> after a cow starts to produce milk
> will she calf. I have these 2
> heifers that seem to be produce
> milk, I believe that they only
> produce milk for calving? These
> heifers were bought at auction and
> I did not know they were
> expecting. Are there any clues
> like a mare who will wax up and
> begin to drip?

[email protected]

Seems strange that if they are pregnant that nobody mentioned it. But in case they are pregnant and going to calve soon - our cows started to bag up 2 to 6 weeks before calving. But the sign I watch for is the swelling under the tail. They'll swell up real big in preparation for calving. No swelling, no calf. If they were swollen when you got them, they probably did just lose a calf. A friend of mine lost a few calves at birth and went to a local dairy farm and got 2 new bull calves from them to put on his cows. They took real well to them and it made for a more peacefull season. Just an idea.

[email protected]

Latest posts