CALF WON'T SUCK

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
I had a cow that prolapsed and died leaving one very large calf. When I found the calf, it sucked 3 quarts of milk saver without any trouble. I've tried to get it to suck the last two days and have had to feed it by tube instead. I would appreciate any advise on how to get him to start sucking again.

Fly-guy":1f3ecxa4 said:
I had a cow that prolapsed and died leaving one very large calf. When I found the calf, it sucked 3 quarts of milk saver without any trouble. I've tried to get it to suck the last two days and have had to feed it by tube instead. I would appreciate any advise on how to get him to start sucking again.

First off, is he sick? Scours, pneumonia etc? If he's sick you need to get him feeling better, sucking takes energy.

If he is healthy, you might give him a shot of Selenium, that will help in a lot of cases.

If that doesn't work, build up his strength by tubing him for a couple days, and then don't feed him one evening (or morning). Let him get hungry, that will almost always kick start them.

Give a bose shot from your vet about 1.5cc and a shot of steroids if your vet gives them to you. It works wonders the vitamin b and selenium shot. I wouldnt give more than 2 quarts at time though of some replacer. 20/20 made from only milk no soy. I just had a dummy calf and this is the procedure everyone told me. calf is doing great 5 weeks later. My calf started sucking the next feeding after the shot.

There are two products for Selenium. BoSe & MuSe. We use BoSe (B for baby) for the calves & we ue MuSe (M for Mom) for the cows. It is recommended to give 2.75 to 3.5 ml / 100#. I give 4 ml to all newborns & 5 if they are over 100#.
But, you must get it from Vet - not expensive & is WELL WORTH IT!!!!.

I have good news and bad news. The good news was that he started sucking Sunday morning and the bad news is that he died sometime Monday afternoon. Thanks for all of the advise. Hopefully, all of the advise will help others that have the same problem as we had with this calf.

The vet clinic is closed on Sundays and then it died Monday before I got off so I wasn't able to get it taken care of.