calf won't suck

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a 4 day old calf that won't suck. We have tried bottle feeding and forcing it to suck on its mother, all it will do is lick around on the mother. Force feeding is the only way to get some milk down its throat. However nothing has work, the calf is getting weaker and losing what weight it had. Any suggestions?

[email protected]

>we had one to do the same thing it died,think its deformed somehow inside

Are nyou using an esophogeal feeder, i.e., tubing it? Using a high quality milk replacer or milk from the cow in proper amounts, if he continues getting weaker and doesn't have a fever, you may have to write him off. Try tubing with electrolites and see if that doesn't help

dun

> We have a 4 day old calf that
> won't suck. We have tried bottle
> feeding and forcing it to suck on
> its mother, all it will do is lick
> around on the mother. Force
> feeding is the only way to get
> some milk down its throat. However
> nothing has work, the calf is
> getting weaker and losing what
> weight it had. Any suggestions?

It's usually that a calf CAN'T suck, rather than WON'T suck. They are sometimes too weak to follow through on their instincts. You do need to tube feed him until he is strong enough to nurse. Be sure you know how to tube feed - contact your veterinarian for instructions and equipment - and start feedig this calf as soon as possible. Otherwise, he will dehydrate and die very soon.

i have one that wont suck either... i posted a question on the health board about it... i have tubed it 2 days now and it has its strength.. but is catching a cold... i popped him with some medicene and turned him out to his mother this morning... i do not expect much though.. he may easily be dead by the weekend...

its like he doesnt know how... and doesnt have good control over his tongue... he doesnt even act like he wants to suck...

good luck with yours

gene

[email protected]

If you won't/can't tube him till he's going on his own, the best thing to does is a little hot lead in the ear rather then let him slowly starve

dun

> i have one that wont suck
> either... i posted a question on
> the health board about it... i
> have tubed it 2 days now and it
> has its strength.. but is catching
> a cold... i popped him with some
> medicene and turned him out to his
> mother this morning... i do not
> expect much though.. he may easily
> be dead by the weekend...

> its like he doesnt know how... and
> doesnt have good control over his
> tongue... he doesnt even act like
> he wants to suck...

> good luck with yours

> gene

who knows... he may completely recover now.. i have had several that couldnt/wouldnt nurse at first and get down weak... i would do them like this one and get them up and going and turn them out... most completely get over it... he will get the chance for a day or so.. but i dont get my hopes up..

just my 2 cents

gene

> If you won't/can't tube him till
> he's going on his own, the best
> thing to does is a little hot lead
> in the ear rather then let him
> slowly starve

> dun

[email protected]

I was given a calf like that last year -- she was on her way to be put down, owner happened to stop at our gas station on the way and I ended up with the calf. She was tubed fresh milk twice daily and electolyte solution once daily for probably a week, then on a bottle after that -- she's now 900 lbs, beautiful, and ready to breed.

Sometimes that extra bit of work pays off.

Annn B

> who knows... he may completely
> recover now.. i have had several
> that couldnt/wouldnt nurse at
> first and get down weak... i would
> do them like this one and get them
> up and going and turn them out...
> most completely get over it... he
> will get the chance for a day or
> so.. but i dont get my hopes up..

> just my 2 cents

> gene

its a tough call sometimes to know what to do... and sometimes you just get tired of fooling with one or dont have the time...

i went to our county cattlemens meeting last night and a couple of older cattlemen told me to keep him alive even if i had to keep tubing him, and maybe he would finally catch on. so i decided to get up early and go fight momma again this morning and tube him...

amazing... when i got there and momma started walking off, he trotted off behind her... first time i have seen him move that fast... in the past he has slowly walked behind her with her steadily leaving him behind...

i turned my truck around and went back home..

i know he might be dead tomorrow, but right at this very moment things are looking better..

gene

> I was given a calf like that last
> year -- she was on her way to be
> put down, owner happened to stop
> at our gas station on the way and
> I ended up with the calf. She was
> tubed fresh milk twice daily and
> electolyte solution once daily for
> probably a week, then on a bottle
> after that -- she's now 900 lbs,
> beautiful, and ready to breed.

> Sometimes that extra bit of work