Calf wont nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

Went back to the supply store this time price was 15 dollars. guess I was misquoted first time.
Anyway gave 2cc IM. How long should it take to help if this is the problem? And do I give another dose if the 1st helps? If so how soon? Gosh thats alot of questions! :lol: According to the label it should not be given for 30 days prior to slaughter so it seems to be long lasting. Thanks.

Sport":12tgne0g said:
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or correcting me. Not everyone is familiar with both products.
BoSe is generally used for calves because it is a diluted product where as MuSe is usually used on big calves and cows. It is very concentrated, but they are both Selenium suppliments - just different dosage - both need prescription.

I gave 2cc Bo-Se. Cant tell any real difference yet. She ate some calf manna I put in her mouth and some hay I put in her mouth but still wont eat anything unless I force feed it.

Calf is 5 weeks old today and growing good. Good looking calf or I would not have put so much effort into it. Never had one act like this before

The dose of Bo-Se that my vet instructed me to give was 5cc Sub Q at birth & then again in 2-3 weeks. LAst year I had a slower calf & we gave it to him at 1 week old & then again a few weeks later. He did great right away & weaned right in the middle of his group. I might have missed it in the posts, but have you had a vet look at this calf, Has it been tested for BVD? Good luck.

I'd give more than just 2cc's. I'd give her another 5, to be honest. Bo-Se is 1mg/mL, Mu-Se is 5mg/mL... I've given 15-20mg (on accident!) to a group of normal 4wts (double what they should have had) with no adverse affects.

IMO I'd give her another dose of 5cc's SubQ. If she's deficient enough to show symptoms she's extremely deficient, and she needs plenty of selenium.

milkmaid":1uzm51do said:
I'd give more than just 2cc's. I'd give her another 5, to be honest. Bo-Se is 1mg/mL, Mu-Se is 5mg/mL... I've given 15-20mg (on accident!) to a group of normal 4wts (double what they should have had) with no adverse affects.

IMO I'd give her another dose of 5cc's SubQ. If she's deficient enough to show symptoms she's extremely deficient, and she needs plenty of selenium.
And after you give the 5cc, give 5 cc more in two days. 2cc :shock: , that's 1/2 the recommended dosage for a newborn.
We don't KNOW that this calf is SE deficient, but it sure sounds like it, and you are working hard for 5 weeks to keep it going, don't be chinsey on the dosage, it can't hurt it.
Also, have you given it some Vit B shots for appetite, and Probias?

Gave LA 200 and dexamethasone 1st week, vet seemed to think lungs hadn't fully developed. Lungs sound clear now. Also given 2 complex B shots. Have not taken temp.

Latest posts