Calf won't eat

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need advice on what to do or give my 6 month old steer. When I feed, i bring the little ones on through the gate so they can actually get some feed because they don't stand a chance of getting any with their momma's (hogs) there. But when he comes in, all he does, is lick and chew anything he can get ahold of. My husband has already pulled rags out of his mouth. He use to eat the feed when he was on the other side. I've even tried feeding him alone so he doesn't have to fight for it, but he wants nothing to do with it. They have access to mineral salt a couple different places in the pasture. Lots of pasture to roam in. Could he be lacking anything. I don't think he has worms, but the way he's going he might. He's kinda smaller than the others, but didn't start out that way. We're going to wean soon, and i don't want to have problems with him, with winter coming and all. Any ideas?

[email protected]

> I need advice on what to do or
> give my 6 month old steer. When I
> feed, i bring the little ones on
> through the gate so they can
> actually get some feed because
> they don't stand a chance of
> getting any with their momma's
> (hogs) there. But when he comes
> in, all he does, is lick and chew
> anything he can get ahold of. My
> husband has already pulled rags
> out of his mouth. He use to eat
> the feed when he was on the other
> side. I've even tried feeding him
> alone so he doesn't have to fight
> for it, but he wants nothing to do
> with it. They have access to
> mineral salt a couple different
> places in the pasture. Lots of
> pasture to roam in. Could he be
> lacking anything. I don't think he
> has worms, but the way he's going
> he might. He's kinda smaller than
> the others, but didn't start out
> that way. We're going to wean
> soon, and i don't want to have
> problems with him, with winter
> coming and all. Any ideas? It may be helpful to allow him to continue to experience the agony of defeat; i.e. feed him more with the adults creating more of a desire maybe? Just a suggestion.... that or letting them eat right out of the bucket (feeder long horn) seems to work for us on occasion. (actually this evening)

[email protected]

Latest posts