calf won't drink on it's own

Help Support CattleToday:

cornfarmer48

Reaction score
had a bull beef calf a week ago. still won't drink from a bottle, have to keep squeezing his mouth. been tubing him. he seem perky enough but just chews around on the nipple. been feeding milk replacer, not sure if he goy any clostrum or not. any ideas on getting him sucking. thanks

I had a calf like that once, called him "Rock" cuz I thought he was as dumb as one....gave up on the bottle and he learned to drink from a pail. It may be worth a shot if he seems healthy enough.

Is the hole in the nipple large enough, better to waste a little to get him to drink than lose him.

cornfarmer48":2b5yeagd said:
had a bull beef calf a week ago. still won't drink from a bottle, have to keep squeezing his mouth. been tubing him. he seem perky enough but just chews around on the nipple. been feeding milk replacer, not sure if he goy any clostrum or not. any ideas on getting him sucking. thanks

Here are a few tips;

1. Use a smaller softer nipple. I like the soft brown ones that fit on a pop bottle.

2. Stand(or kneel if it is laying down) over the calf's shoulders facing forward. This will simulate the calf having it's head under the cow. As well you can control it a bit better. The calf will be more likely to suck if it is standing though.

3. Tube it for 2-4 days (which you have already done) and then leave it overnight without feeding it. It should be hungry enough in the morning!! We use this trick when we have a calf that won't suck the cow. They almost always figure it out. But they have to be strong enough to go all night without a feed first.

4. Wiggle the nipple around in it's mouth. Sometimes almost pulling the nipple out of the calf's mouth will trigger something in the calf's mind.

make a bigger hole in the nipple. not big enough to choke him, just bigger.
put some milk on your finger and let him taste it.
stick the nipple in his mouth and tickle his butt.

If he's chewing on the nipple I would do as Mitch said and teach him to drink from a bucket. Get him chewing on the nipple and lower your hand into the bucket. He should pick it up in two or three feedings.

:eek: i had a calf that I had to tube twice a day for a week.
On the eighth day he finally developed a sucking reflex and
did well. When i sold him he weighed 7oo lbs. :lol:

Latest posts