calf with wierd infection?

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
i have asked this question before but have not really got any good answers, but i have a female calf with a lump under its belly (probably navel infection) i treated it for 8 days with something i got form the vet when i ran out he asked me to feel the bump to se if it was soft, it was, so he said it will be fine, a week later i felt the bump, and it was really hard. WHat is the problem? should make a little hole in it to see what's up, how should it be treated?

Ivan

Hard to say what you have without seeing/feeling it
Is possible it is only an abcess from the infection also possible the infection weakened the abdominal wall and an umbilical hernia has occurred
How big is the lump? Can you post a picture?
Suggest googling " umbilical hernia " you should get lots of
Info. Years ago I found an article the explained how to make a clamp out of PVC pipe that could be used on heifers to remove the lump similar to the way banding works on testicles
When doing anything in that area care must be taken not to perforate or crimp the intestine if it has managed to protrude thru the hernia
Due to these Potential complications it is probably best to let your vet have a look

Btw could you please update your profile with a general description of your location
This can be helpful info for some questions

Just got finished having a heifer treated for an umbilical hernia. The vet lanced it and cleaned it out completely with peroxide, then treated it with an antibiotic spray and a injection of antibiotics. The wound was left open. She healed up nicely after that. If this is in fact your problem it could be reoccurring if all the infection is not removed and treated.

slick4591":3mc9pfr0 said:
Just got finished having a heifer treated for an umbilical hernia. The vet lanced it and cleaned it out completely with peroxide, then treated it with an antibiotic spray and a injection of antibiotics. The wound was left open. She healed up nicely after that. If this is in fact your problem it could be reoccurring if all the infection is not removed and treated.
Slick - your problem sounds more like a umbilical INFECTION instead of a hernia by the treatment.