calf with weak tendons?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I have this month old calf, that was perfectly fine when it was born, then about 2 weeks ago, it just wouldn't get up, I think it had a slight case of pneumonia, which I treated her for, and she is over that now. She has since gotten up, but her 2 front feet, she seems not to be able to stand correctly, instead of standing on her feet, she bends the hoofs inward and walks with them bent inward. Yesterday one was normal now, but I have been trying to exercise the hoof part, moving it back and forth, but I was just wondering if anyone out there had this problem, what is it, and what did you do to correct it?

Thanks

Gail

I always look to Selenium deficiency first. SE def. will make them have weak muscles (not tendons) - called White Muscle Disease. It will affect their LARGE muscles - heart, lungs, tongue & leg muscles.

Haemophilus somnus

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM066

Affected animals may begin to have an altered gait, walk in circles, knuckle over at the fetlocks, and eventually begin to "head-press," appear blind, and have convulsions. Eventually, the affected animals become comatose; they are called "sleeper calves".

GMN":36l9hqe9 said:
I have this month old calf, that was perfectly fine when it was born, then about 2 weeks ago, it just wouldn't get up, I think it had a slight case of pneumonia, which I treated her for, and she is over that now. She has since gotten up, but her 2 front feet, she seems not to be able to stand correctly, instead of standing on her feet, she bends the hoofs inward and walks with them bent inward. Yesterday one was normal now, but I have been trying to exercise the hoof part, moving it back and forth, but I was just wondering if anyone out there had this problem, what is it, and what did you do to correct it?

Thanks
Was the calf completly normal and then pneumonia symptoms appeared out of the blue and was it out flat on its side?Also how are her eyes do they seem rather large like almost pop eyed as compared to the other calves?Anything like convulsions?Just curious as this sounds very familiar.

Gail

I think contracted tendons would have shown up right off the get go...what everyone else as written definitely bears reading and researching.

Alice

Latest posts