calf with watery eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
My calf is doing better and better...except one thing, his eye on one side is very watery. When I first got him (2 wks ago) both his eyes were a little watery. Now it seems like the one has virtually dryed up and the other is watering double-time. I got a bucket of warm water and wash cloth and washed it out real good...same situation next day. I dont' see anything IN it. Should I put some kind of topical ointment on it or try to give it some more time to clear up on it's own?

Hillary,
Re:
Should I put some kind of topical ointment on it or try to give it some more time to clear up on it's own?
Don’t rub the eye with anything. You will just push what ever is in there further back.
Wash it out by spraying in the eye socket with Hydrogen Peroxide. Or just pour it in if you don’t have a spray bottle. Keep washing the eye with H P until it no longer foams. Repeat once or twice a day for 3 days.

And a shot of LA-200 might be in order also.
SL

Sometimes watery eyes precede an ear infection.This is a good time of year for it.Watch for a head tilt and or drooping ear.I doubt that there is need to put anything in the eye.

Larry