Calf with tongue out

Help Support CattleToday:

GuitarZan

Reaction score
I have a new-bor calf (about 2 wks. old) that goes around with his tongue hanging out about half-way. At first it was only out an inch or so but lately it is out what looks like 3 or 4 inches. The calf appears to be healthy but gaunt looking. I plan to catch him tommorrow and investigate further. (also call vet for advice) Will check down his throat and probably give him a penicillon shot and some beef nutri-drench. I have never seen this before. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Any help will be appreciated.

thanks.

Guitarzan

I have seen this when cattle are sick and running a fever. I would check his temp rectally(make the investent of cattle only thermometer). If he has a temp. over 101 I would say he has a temp. Also they pant whne they are hot. Obseve him in the Am to get a true read. I think alot of cattle have their tonges out in the heat of the day.

Scotty

I've got one now thats a month old that runs around with about 1 inch of his tongue sticking out. He doesn't do it all the time but a lot. He can pull it in to eat and drink. I think it's just a habit with this one. Doesn't seem to be a problem, just seems to be comfortable for him. He does it less as he gets older, so I assume he will eventually stop.

I've got on like that. I was concerned when he was new born. He is about 4 months old and is doing fine, just sticks out his tongue and lets it hang out about and inch or two. Comical looking.He tickles me every time I see him.

I had one in my last batch of calves that did that for about month. He was a one we had to pull...I figured it might have been from the stress. He is 3-4 months old now and doing great.

We have a bottle calf that always had his tongue out too. Was funny looking, of course he's a little odd looking anyway. Head is kind of short and has buck teeth. He's two months old now and about the only time we see his tongue out is when he's hungry. Not sure if it's still from what I suspect was a hard birth or because the wife feels sorry for him when he does that and bawls and goes out and feeds him.

Either way as long as he's acting ok in every other way I wouldn't give it a thought.

Good luck

Thanks to all for the advice ! All is well, we caught the calf last night and removed a large ball of grass lodged in the calf's throat ! I could not believe it! Never before have I seen such as this raising cattle. Gave calf a penicillin shot and some powdered milk with DIAQ for electrolytes and vitamins. Calf is much better. Although, he wasn't week yesterday as he kicked me and caught rope around my guitar picking hand. Oh well, comes with the territority.

GuitarZan[/b]

I have one 6 month old heifer that sticks a little of it's tongue out most of the time. I had all three of my heifers treated fro respiratory issues back in April. The other two are doing great but this one is gaining about half as much as the other two. She also has what looks like mange on her hip and shoulder. Is it possible that this one is still sick or does mange cause reduced growth?

I have one 6 month old heifer that sticks a little of it's tongue out most of the time. I had all three of my heifers treated fro respiratory issues back in April. The other two are doing great but this one is gaining about half as much as the other two. She also has what looks like mange on her hip and shoulder. Is it possible that this one is still sick or does mange cause reduced growth?
Could it be lice instead of mange? Yes, it's possible she's a "lunger". Take her temp.