Calf with swollen back legs. Help?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I noticed a calf yesterday with both back legs swollen from the hock down. He did not seem to feel very well either.
This calf is six months old and received vaccinations 5 days ago. He was given Urtraboc 7, Cattlemaster 4-VL5, and One Shot along with a dose of Ivermicten. I should also mention that he got a dose of Ultraboc 7 at two months old when the pairs were moved to summer pasture.
The weather is very dry and almost no grass to graze. The calves are creep feeding and free choose good fresh hay. There is a noxious weed in the pasture, Horse nettle, also called nightshade.
If only one back leg was swollen I would think inquiry but with both back legs swollen the same I wonder if he did not have a reaction to the vaccination.
Does anyone have a guess as to what is going on?

any other symptoms? If your horse nettle is the same as mine I have never seen them touch it, but know it could be toxic....sorry not much help. I would think if it was a reaction to vaccine there would be more symptoms - respiratory, slobbering, etc???

Signs of nightshade poisoning: There is difficulty breathing with a characteristic expiratory grunt, salivation, nasal discharge, jaundice, weakness, a trembling of muscles in the hind legs, an increased heart rate, and occasionally bloat. Temp. is near normal or slightly elevated. Tomato and potato plants are in the nightshade family, and their leaves and fruit may also be toxic to cattle. Hungry animal should be be kept out of nightshade pastures, and if supplementally fed, they should not be fed on ground where some of this material can be picked up. Animals showing signs should be placed in the shade to rest. If they survive the first 24 hrs., they will usually survive....Different subject. A condition similar to ergot poisoning is caused by a toxic substance in fescue grass. Lameness in 1 or both hind feet characterizes this poisoning, known as fescue foot. The tail and ears can also be affected.

I seriously doubt it's a reaction to the vaccine being this many days.

Sounds like you need to make a call to the vet's for consultation or treatment, pronto.

I just noticed him yesterday evening. I will check him again this evening. If he is no better I will call Auburn.
He has plenty to eat with creep feed, hay and his momma.
He did not seem to have any other trouble except that he was not running with the rest of the calves.