calf with smelly butt

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
the neighbor got a bottle calf from us a couple weeks ago. the calf is 3 weeks old, and a very aggressive eater. she called this evening and said the calf has a real smelly manure. it is getting its 2 bottles of milk, and 3 to 4 quarts of water. 2 cups of calf starter pellets, and a little bit of hay. i am voting for too much feed at too young of an age? any opinions? advice?

It ain;t supposed to smell like lilacs. If the calf is healthy, no scours, etc., and is eating good I sure wouldn;t be concerned.
Have their dog hang around the calf, that will take care of the smelly calf problems, but the dog farts will peal paint

dun

Dun's right, especially about the dog...

If anything turned my stomach it was moving a calf hutch because of scours and watching my brother's dogs go to work.

And, truth be told, I don't find the amount the calf is eating, milk replacer and all, to be too much. If those calf pellets smell like licorice before the calf eats them, imagine how they smell afterward.

In fact, if the calf is eating all of the 2 cups of pellets, I'd probably up it to three...or better yet, get some calf starter grower dry feed and quit using the pellets...and continue feed the same amount of milk replacer.

Calves are supposed to eat more as they get older.

Alice

dun":2oo9ooqf said:
It ain;t supposed to smell like lilacs. If the calf is healthy, no scours, etc., and is eating good I sure wouldn;t be concerned.
Have their dog hang around the calf, that will take care of the smelly calf problems, but the dog farts will peal paint

dun

I just lost my dip I can picture the original poster out there smelling that calfs ass.
Amazing at some of the questions on here.

Caustic Burno":3634xkcl said:
dun":3634xkcl said:

dun

I just lost my dip I can picture the original poster out there smelling that calfs ass.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I dropped a cigar on the keyboard when I read duns post and danged if you didn't make me drop it again. :lol:

Caustic Burno":3bawjhya said:
dun":3bawjhya said:

dun

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

That calf backs up fast there might be a little asskissin' going on.

How funny.

Anyone else here want to admit to smelling a calf's a-s-s?

Bez>

Well, as I read back, the original post said the calf had smelly manure...the title of the post was somewhat misleading. So, I doubt seriously that anyone actually bent over and sniffed a calf's butt.

Why would one need too? When the poop smells, it smells to hight heaven...you don't have to get close to the butt to smell it. We live in a flight/landing path...I'm surprised the smell hasn't caused teary eyed pilots. Hmmm, maybe that's why there's so many touch 'n goes. In fact, nah, surely that didn't cause the small plane to crash in the woods next to our property. :p

Alice

Alice":26xp2olg said:
In fact, nah, surely that didn't cause the small plane to crash in the woods next to our property. :p

Alice

:shock: :shock: I can see the headlines now - "Noxious Fumes From Local Farm Cause Small Plane's Propellers to Freeze Up! Authorities Suspect Too Many Calves With Scours!"

It's becomming very clear that we are running out of subject matter.

Joe, Did you wrinkle your lips up like a bull smellin a heifer?
Now you know why he does it.

Im sorry, I was laughing to hard to really read anybodies post. Course I had to read CB's and that only made me laugh harder.

when the elderly lady called, her first words were, the calf smells. i really don't know what smell a calf is supposed to have, so she says not the whole calf, justs its little bottom. so after i finished laughing, i told her it's not supposed to smell like roses. she said you could smell it out side the barn. now i think you probably don't have to get close and lift the tail to get a wiff of that. i have never had one stinking that bad, but i have also never had one eating so much at 3 weeks either. glad you guys have enough imaginiation to get a good mental picture to keep yourselfs humored.

Bez>":1cp2xgo0 said:
That calf backs up fast there might be a little asskissin' going on.

How funny.

Anyone else here want to admit to smelling a calf's a-s-s?

Bez>

It never really crossed my mind. Of course, had I walked in the barn and it smelled like roses - I would have been very concerned. Still ain't gonna go around smelling backsides looking for "Rosie"!!!!

Does she know what a calf is supposed to smell like?
Whenever I smell silage it turns my stomach, particularly after it's been through the cow. Other folks don;t even seem to notice

dun

joe":2e5axu7m said:
when the elderly lady called, her first words were, the calf smells. i really don't know what smell a calf is supposed to have, so she says not the whole calf, justs its little bottom. so after i finished laughing, i told her it's not supposed to smell like roses. she said you could smell it out side the barn. now i think you probably don't have to get close and lift the tail to get a wiff of that. i have never had one stinking that bad, but i have also never had one eating so much at 3 weeks either. glad you guys have enough imaginiation to get a good mental picture to keep yourselfs humored.

Elderly lady...now I feel ashamed of myself. :oops:

Honestly, tho, I still don't think the calf is getting too much to eat. And if those calf pellets have anise in them, it's gotta stink bad.

Try to assure her that as long as the calf isn't scouring and since the calf is 3 weeks old and eating dry feed and hay, and the calf isn't lethargic or sounding rattley when it drinks the bottle, or the calf isn't coughing and snotty nosed, she's really got nothing to worry about...at least at this time.

And, please don't mention the razzing she got here. :oops:

Alice

I agree with Alice -- I don't think it's feed intake is too much. I'
ve had many calves that were aggressive eaters - and calves on milk replacer always seems to have smeller poop than the ones on the mother's.

First, if you're familiar with being around young calves then check out the baby and see if you think the smell is abnormal. It could be the lady just isn't familiar with it.

If the smell is abnormal, here are some things that could cause it:
Make sure those 'calf starter pellets' are a mixed ration, not a supplement meant to be mixed with grain. The higher the protein, the higher the smell; if the calf is getting straight protein pellets instead of a mixed ration then the smell will be bad.
If the calf is on alfalfa it could be getting more protein than it can utilize, and the manure will stink.
Make sure the proper amount of milk replacer is being used. Check to see what kind of milk replacer is used. We don't use any soy based replacer, I think that gives an unusual odor.
Make sure the calf has water available all the time.

Latest posts