Calf with small wound

Help Support CattleToday:

tenacres

Reaction score
We bought a calf from a local farmer. He had branded the calf....which looks horrible, but that's beside the point. When we brought the calf home, I noticed a small area around the top of the brand, about the size of a dime, that was open...not bleeding, just raw looking. The flies have had a field day, causing this dime sized wound to grow to more than a quarter now. I've used liquid wound care on it to no avail. Any suggestions?

i would just keep it sprayed good with wound spray.to keep the flys off.an let it heal up.scott.

I believe I would wash the raw area out with peroxide, spray with a wound dressing, and then with a good fly spray. I would do this twice a day til the wound healed. I've seen maggots in brands and it's not something I ever want to see again.

Msscamp is right on the money, you might want to add a fly barrier, meaning a type of wound jell, or cream, so as to prevent the flys from laying eggs etc. on that wound, as a spray may not quite do it......Lots of different types out there,good luck :cboy: