calf with severe scours

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf that was almost dead this morning, lying on his side and kicking a little, his nose was coooold. He couldnt sit or stand by himself. Joe gave him a shot becuause I got him to drink a half bottle. I propped him up and went back an hour later. He drank, a bottle and a half of water w/ milk replacer,(half the recommended amount,) and 4 oz karo, and 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking soda. When I got through he was stnding and I couldnt force him to lay back down. I went out again at one he was asleep and at three he stood up very shakily and just squirted everywhere, like water. We are giving him a sulfa pill in a lttile while but I wondered if pepto might help. At this point I have to stop the scours. He will lose more than I can replace Any help Ic an get will be appreciated and as soon as possible. Thanks so much,

Well you need to isolate the calf from the others or you will have bigger problems. Give the calf electrolytes and keep him well hydrated. Get some diatomaceous dirt and let him eat it. Sulpha pills will work if you pill him hard!!

He is and has been alone since a day after he was born, his mother wouldnt take care of him, she just deserted him. I have been bottle raising him since July 24th or so. I have to ask what diatomaceous dirt is. I saw him mouthing around on the dirt in the lot which I thought was weird but that was when he was too weak to stand. I dont access to electrolytes until perhaps tomorrow which is why I gave him the karo and stuff, when you say pill him hard, does that mean a lot? Sorry I am learning as I go but I really appreciate the help!

CB":3dfe858l said:
Well you need to isolate the calf from the others or you will have bigger problems. Give the calf electrolytes and keep him well hydrated. Get some diatomaceous dirt and let him eat it. Sulpha pills will work if you pill him hard!!
If you use the diatamaceous earth be sure and use the FOOD GRADE

Roses BellaOnline":2o89xhfw said:
I have no idea what diatamaceous earth is :(
Register and I or someone else can get some information to you.

This board carries No Advertising

diatamaceous earth is a powdery substance that is composed of the exo-skleton of diatoms.

Some people maintain that it has many properties, worming, irradicating ants, etc. In theory, the pest crawls through the stuff and it damages them to the point that their juices leak causing death.

dun

First off, NEVER give sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with milk. It creates scours, since it stops the milk from clotting properly. It's fine to use if there is no milk 4 hours before or after giving...

Secondly, why do you guys never have electrolytes on hand? For pete's sake, they're cheap, easily accessible and vital when needed!! I'd recommend for anyone with calves to have a bit on hand...or a good recipe to create your own!!

Thirdly, check the navel and anus etc. for fly larvae--yup, I mean maggots. They're fairly common, and just about the only thing guaranteed to make me heave.

Fourth, or maybe this should be first...call your vet! We give IV fluids and actually treat animals...

Good Luck!
V

Latest posts