Calf with scours

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
Have a week old angus bull calf, developed scours yesterday, gave him 2 qts of resorb electrolytes seperated from mom overnight, this am gave a qt of resorb and turned him back in with mom. Now he is lethargic, breathing is labored, and he is running a temp. Vet is called. Question is, Do any of you use pepto for scouring calves. If so how do you administer and how much do you use?

Yeah, you can give him pepto 60ml is ok, you can use a syringe with out the needle and squirt it in his mouth. Keep pushing fluids. I would use Draxxin or Zactran with a shot of dexamethasone.

Larry

we had a week old calf that got the scours also and we took a stool sample to the vet to testfor coccidious and he was neg. but the vet did give us some pills and 2 shots of nuflor for him and he is doing good.

we have a 350# calf that was kicking his belly and running around while the others were either laying around or just standing there. he does have runny poop and he was really switching his tail too! he acted like he was in pain. we gave him a shot of LA200 yesterday and taking a stool sample to the vet again. WTH is going on this year with the scours?

the vet said nothing showed up in the stool sample besides poop..lol anyway he gave us some corrid to put in the water...my question is why give that and the calf is still having some issue's is that normal for some calves? i've not seen any act like him before...

snickers":3dyfluax said:
the vet said nothing showed up in the stool sample besides poop..lol anyway he gave us some corrid to put in the water...my question is why give that and the calf is still having some issue's is that normal for some calves? i've not seen any act like him before...

He gave you the corid because he didn't know what else to do. The calf kicks his belly because it hurts and that can be caused by a lot of things, a recent feed change maybe.

Larry

Latest posts