CALF WITH SCOURS AND WHITE DISCHARGE FROM NOSE

Help Support CattleToday:

It's late and I'm having a hard time comprehending -or reading- any words on the page now, but just to write down some more stuff...

Calves need a lot of fluids. Figure on putting a gallon in fluids into them, minimum, per day. You've taken out milk, so that gallon must be in water. At least two full 1/2gal bottles per day necessary, and I'd recommend quite a bit more, since they're losing a lot of fluid out the other end. Give them fluids several times a day. Dehydration can kill calves - quickly. I've been known to tube them every few hours around the clock...but that'll wear a person out pretty quickly. LOL.

at 2pts a feeding 5-6 times a day minimum I fiured that to be app. 1.5 gal do you think they need more than that? 2 take the bottle but the third is really lax but still gets it down think he might have to be tubed tomarrow if not better!
gotta get a nap in i have to get up around 5 to feed again and its 2:30 now ........time to move a bed into the barn!!!!

syrup?? karo, molassas??
penut butter how much?
what do you do just put it in there mouth?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i have to give it to REPOMAN... and this board.

repoman, you have been impressively diligent.
(and i think your forehead landed on the spacebar in the last post) :lol:

board, these calves would be gone by now without you. speaks volumes.

Aero":1s6fhj3g said:
i have to give it to REPOMAN... and this board.

repoman, you have been impressively diligent.
(and i think your forehead landed on the spacebar in the last post) :lol:

board, these calves would be gone by now without you. speaks volumes.
:D HaHa :D I was thinking the same thing!
I also want to hand it to you. We can tell people that small feedings several times a day is best, but not very many people can/will/or are able to do it.
Congrats - whether they live or die - you are doing a great job. Some are just waiting to die no matter what you do.
And thanks a bunch for keeping us posted. It is sooooo irritating to get involved in someones problem & they leave us hanging - wondering what happened.
You are a good newbie for our board.

A good hand full of peanut butter is enough. 2 big tablespoons. Maybe a 1/4 cup of syrup.

today isnt a good one just had my sickest one die in my arms.
the other 2 are alert and starting to get rammy looking for the next bottle hopefully nuflor gets here today!!!!!!!!!
next day air isnt what you pay for im running low on resorb and getting nervous so off to TSC 60miles away for some more just to be safe!!!

days like this SUCK!!!!!!!! and yes i was "yelling"

as for my last post i did fall asleep or nod off when i hit enter sorrrrry!!

You think it's crypto...If it is that good chance. For crypto there is no medecine for animal...but there is for human.. and it's work great for calf. In my heard I have crypto, corona and rota virus. This combinaison is lethal. All my calfs get sick and I save almost all of them. At around 6-7 days old, the crypto . Scour smell like hell...
I gave them Zithromax made by Pfizer. One pill a day for 3 to five days. That pill threat crypto and respiratory desease. If you suspect ecoli, 3 cc of Borgal (Sulfadoxine and trimethroprime) because Zithromax is not effective for E-Coli.
I hope that will help for the future. If I have'nt found Zithromax, I would be out of biseness.
Sorry for my english it's not my first language.

I'm very sorry the calf died, Repoman. It sure wasn't due to a lack of trying on your part!

Repoman, sorry to hear you lost one, Lord knows you are trying your best. I can't offer you any more info that hasn';t already been given. Hope USPS got your meds to you, and good luck with the other two calves. Keep us posted.

Katherine

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":axw56pwl said:
Most of the calves here in tennessee that my buddies are losing to scours are because of E-coli. I had a buddy lose 6 in one week. E-coli sucks. I plan on getting mine up here in the next few days to vaccinate them for e-coli.
If it's that serious in your area you better do it tomorrow, not in the next few days.

nuflor came and i got more resorb im going to give nuflor in am and going to have to start adding milk real soon so these 2 dont become malnurished. thanks gendrof for that info im glad to here something works ill look into finding it so if i need it i can get it a vet said that nuflor is potent stuff and should kill just about anything except crypto i just hope this stuff works and by adding milk slow and in small quant. they will be on a bucket in no time!!!!!!!!!

Yea!!! I wish you the best with your other 2 calves, Repoman. If I can do anything to help, let me know.

another bad day i just lost another one he was fine....hungry, eager to eat got right up etc. 5 hrs later he wouldnt get up i forced him up and had to tube him and gave him 3cc nuflor and 2 hrs later he was flat with his neck twisted back with labored breathing. not long after he passed. (only went into detail incase it ads to a better diaganosis) my last one "survivor" is doing ok he is getting hie 2pts 4 times a day and drinking them from the bottle gave him the shot this am too so im hoping for the best im still giving resorb with some milk 1/2 packet resorb 1/4 ammount of milk and 2pts water 4x day tomarrow ill up the milk and water ammount a little and wean off resorb and increase milk a little at a time what are the signs of mal nourishment should i look for with not giving alot of milk is this a worry? or should things be ok with weaning off resorb and onto milk at the same time?

REPOMAN":2jyo05vn said:
another bad day i just lost another one he was fine....hungry, eager to eat got right up etc. 5 hrs later he wouldnt get up i forced him up and had to tube him and gave him 3cc nuflor and 2 hrs later he was flat with his neck twisted back with labored breathing. not long after he passed. (only went into detail incase it ads to a better diaganosis)

Sorry to hear that! Neck twisted back...seizure-like symptoms? shaking? death bawl? Been there, seen that, hate that death bawl.

Hope that third one makes it.

I've heard tell calves can go quite some time without milk, and not to worry about starving them. How thin is the remaining one?

Found the Re-Sorb label.

Re-Sorb formula contains the following ingredients: sodium chloride 8.82 grams, potassium phosphate 4.2 grams, citric acid, anhydrous 0.5 grams, potassium citrate 0.12 grams, aminoacetic acid (glycine) 6.36 grams and glucose 44 grams. Osmolarity of the reconstituted solution is approximately 315 mOsm/kg. The pH of the reconstituted solution is approximately 4.3.

Here's the stuff I've been using; Purina brand.

A concentrated nutritional supplement for calves and other animals, fortified with dextrose, glycine, sodium bicarbonate, and directfed microbials. Contains a source of live (viable) naturally occurring microorganisms.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Dextrose, not less than.................50.0%
Sodium, not less than................. 3.00%
Sodium, not more than............... 4.00%
Potassium, not less than...............0.32%
Glycine, not less than...................2.50%
Total bacteria, not less than
................. 350,000,000 CFU / oz

(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus subtilis, Lactobacillus lactis)

INGREDIENTS:
Dextrose, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Glycine, Kaolin, Citric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Pregelatinized Starch, Silicon Dioxide, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidumFermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Potassium Citrate, Artificial Flavor, Artificial Color. 12/98

Granted, I don't understand near as much on those labels as I wish I did, but one thing does stand out. Provided the pH balance in a calf should be the same as in a cow, that's a pH of 6.0-6.2. Re-Sorb says its reconstituted pH is 4.3, which is way, way below anything safe - at least in a cow. From an article on acidosis in cows >>If blood pH drops too low, this can result in death of the animal in acute acidosis<< which I believe, is what killed that calf. I learned recently that sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda can counteract the effects of acidosis, and if you were to add that to your feedings of Re-Sorb it might help, from what I understand of acidosis and scours.

The next thing is the dextrose in the Purina brand of electrolytes, and no dextrose in the Re-Sorb that I can see. For some reason - another thing I don't fully understand - that dextrose is neccessary. You take a severely dehydrated, scouring calf into the vet, and they'll run an IV with fluids - saline solution/lactated ringers - and add dextrose to it. The calf needs it. Not much, but he needs it.

Fix those things and you might be good to go with that last calf. I'll keep my fingers crossed and I wish you luck. :)

Repoman you do a great job but if it's crypto, I dont like to think like that, but the third will pass too. It can survive for a couple days more, but ... I experience more than a dozen like that. I remember a time when a new calf born and if there was just a bit of dirt, I was sure that calf would be died in 10 days and he died.. My building are new, 2003, and about any calf who born in the building get sick but like I told you before, now I save almost all off them. This building, 100 X 200 is contaminated and there is nothing I can do about it. Nothing kills those bugs.

I would suggest you, to take your dead calf for analyse. You will know exactly what happened, what bugs, and for the future, you will be able to manage for saving them.

If it's not crypto, and I hope so, your last calf will survive.

How is number 3 doing Repoman???
A lot of very good advice this time folks, good work!
I had totally missed out on this one till today.

Good Luck! :!:

well its 1:30AM and im up for his 3am feeding. so thats a good thing!!!! i dont want to jinks myself but hes up happy and eager to eat hes actually "lunging" at the bottle / nipple as he eats he gets 3 bottles a day today each with 3pts with a weak mixture of resorb and 1/3 the milk his stool was pastey mustard yellow mabe 1/4 cup or so hard to tell with bedding.
als0 i just had triplet goats today and i was wondering what you all thought about if the baby goats could catch what-ever the calfs had what precautions to take with those stalls so goats or future calfs would be safe?
did i just say future calfs?
:shock: :?:

I could not advise Repoman on this, I know nothing whatsoever about a goat. But, common sense would tell me yes they could get it.
Good luck with number 3 and don't be discouraged. If you learn from the whole ordeal that's the main thing.

bif

Whenever I have a sick calf with scours/nasal discharge, I give Deliver, a powder you mix with water, it gels fast must be fed quickly, this will stop the scours fast. Also I find Excenel works better than Nuflor, especially for respiratory problems. I wouldn't mix too many medicines, kidney damage may occur. Hope the last one made it. It can be very frustrating raising calves, I had an outbreak 2 months ago ended up losing 4 calves, I finally just relocated the whole calving area to another location which did the trick, no more illnesses since.

Hope this helps for future use. Also if you want to raise calves I would suggest buying them from anywhere but the sale barn, nobody sells healthy calves.

I tried submitting this once before so if this is a repeat, it didn't take the first time.

GMN