Calf with runs

Help Support CattleToday:

Bub

Reaction score
I have a calf that has the runs with blood mixed with it the stool looks like snot with streaks of blood mixed in I gave it a shot of al 300 is there any thing more I can do I just noticed it today

Bub":ydw45qkt said:
I have a calf that has the runs with blood mixed with it the stool looks like snot with streaks of blood mixed in I gave it a shot of al 300 is there any thing more I can do I just noticed it today

Diarrhea (scours) can be bacterial or viral. LA 300 is oxytetracyline. Might be helpful for Escherichia coli forms of scours. It is not effective for viral causes of scours such as coronavirus or rotavirus.

It may be necessary to provide fluids and electrolytes until the calf develops an immune response if it is viral. Use an esophageal tube if necessary to administer the electrolytes. Tractor Supply store or similar farm supply stores have packets of electrolytes.

It could also be a protozoan parasite like coccidia. In which case you need to use a product like corrid. The active ingredient is amprolium.

midTN_Brangusman":150gf5wo said:
I shot of Nuflor and a tubing of electrolytes should do the trick.

Nuflor will not provide any action on viral diarrhea. If bacterial, it is probably a step up from LA 300 but lots of scours/diarrhea is due to virus.

Bright Raven":tgxwp0zw said:
midTN_Brangusman":tgxwp0zw said:
I shot of Nuflor and a tubing of electrolytes should do the trick.

Nuflor will not provide any action on viral diarrhea. If bacterial, it is probably a step up from LA 300 but lots of scours/diarrhea is due to virus.

My vet that has practiced for 40 plus years would disagree. Had the same situation on my place about a month ago and this was what he recommended. Cleared him up

Bud,

Nuflor is an effective antibiotic. It is not an antiviral. If the condition you describe is viral, nuflor will provide no efficacy.

The following is information from the Merck Animal Health website:

Florfenicol (nuflor, is the trade name) is a novel, broad-spectrum antibiotic discovered and developed by Merck Animal Health. It is approved for veterinary use in treating BRD and foot rot.

Florfenicol is distinctly different from other antibacterials used in animal health. It is chemically similar to chloramphenicol but has no human safety risks.

The important point: its an antibacterial, not an antiviral.

Bright Raven":3p6uy3gw said:
Bud,

Nuflor is an effective antibiotic. It is not an antiviral. If the condition you describe is viral, nuflor will provide no efficacy.

Florfenicol (nuflor, is the trade name) is a novel, broad-spectrum antibiotic discovered and developed by Merck Animal Health. It is approved for veterinary use in treating BRD and foot rot.

Florfenicol is distinctly different from other antibacterials used in animal health. It is chemically similar to chloramphenicol but has no human safety risks.

Hello Ron , is the 3rd time the charm ??

M-5":3pauvfwh said:
Bright Raven":3pauvfwh said:
Bud,

Kettle meet pot.

TennesseeTuxedo":qdwprzei said:
M-5":qdwprzei said:
Bright Raven":qdwprzei said:
Bud,

Kettle meet pot.

I beg your pardon. Ive learn from my mistakes the first time. What is it they say about doing the same wrong thing over and over and expected a different result?

TCRanch":2atzk2my said:
There's always Sustain III calf boluses (1 per 50 lbs) & electrolytes. If it doesn't clear up, take a sample to your vet & he/she will take it from there.

Sustain III Boluses are antibacterial. I use them rather than an injectable antibiotic because Sulfamethazine is a broad spectrum antibacterial. For bacterial scours, it has worked well for me.

Bud: I think it needs to be noted, it is not uncommon to see soft feces and mucus. Even a little blood is not alarming. You have to make a determination if the magnitude of the condition requires intervention.

M-5":1jqml9mf said:
Bright Raven":1jqml9mf said:
Bud,

I didn't know he had been banned again?

Bigfoot":1o7pzept said:
M-5":1o7pzept said:
Bright Raven":1o7pzept said:
Bud,

I didn't know he had been banned again?

Who? M-5, he's a known offender.

The best way to know, exactly what type of issue you're dealing with, is to take a sample to your vet, even your local small animal vet should be able to tell from a fecal sample what you're dealing with. Then you'll know which direction to go........ antibiotic, antiviral or benign neglect.

I agree with having the vet do a fecal, but if that is not an easy alternative, I also prefer to use some type of bolus like sustain so that it goes directly to the gut tract. I have often found that if I see blood then I am usually dealing with coccidiosis and a couple of doses of corid will do the trick. Again, it goes directly to the gut tract. If it is viral, I don't know of any way to really treat it except for supportive with electrolytes and all to keep it from getting weak. I think that there has been some use of anti-biotics, but don't know if they only help to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. There is a vaccination that can be given to a cow pre-calving for the rota and corona viruses, and I believe there is something you can give to day old calves also. I usually have the coccidia and occasionally an e-coli to deal with.

farmerjan":2bb5a7rg said:
I agree with having the vet do a fecal, but if that is not an easy alternative, I also prefer to use some type of bolus like sustain so that it goes directly to the gut tract. I have often found that if I see blood then I am usually dealing with coccidiosis and a couple of doses of corid will do the trick. Again, it goes directly to the gut tract. If it is viral, I don't know of any way to really treat it except for supportive with electrolytes and all to keep it from getting weak. I think that there has been some use of anti-biotics, but don't know if they only help to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. There is a vaccination that can be given to a cow pre-calving for the rota and corona viruses, and I believe there is something you can give to day old calves also. I usually have the coccidia and occasionally an e-coli to deal with.

We used to vaccinate the pregnant cows with Scour Bos 9 prior to calving but we now give each calf a First Defense bolus, preferably within 12 hours and rarely have scours (or at least nothing that warrants treatment).

If you already have Nuflor on hand try a normal dosage of the stuff orally. Have no idea why it works but it did for us when we had scours other than milk scours. Can;t hurt and just might help.

Bright Raven":3nzsh0ks said:
Bud,

Whatever you say "BUD", how many years have you been practicing medicine?

This is the exact reason we have so many lurkers and not many new members giving advice based on their experience. There is always a know-it-all to bash their thoughts.

Since antibacterials such as oxytetracycline, draxxin, nuflor, sustain III , etc. provide no direct treatment of viruses, an alternative is to vaccinate. Many viruses can be effectively vaccinated against. In the case of calf viral diarrhea/scours, there are several vaccines. The one I use is Calf Guard by Zoetis. It has some advantages:

1. It comes as a MLV preparation. Modified Live Virus preparations provide a good immune response.
2. It comes in 3 mL individual doses.
3. It can be given to the cow/heifer 60 days before partum or it can be given orally to the calf in the first 24 hours preferably in the first 8 hours post partum.

o5n992.jpg

midTN_Brangusman":x8sh7ov1 said:
Bright Raven":x8sh7ov1 said:
Bud,

Whatever you say "BUD", how many years have you been practicing medicine?

This is the exact reason we have so many lurkers and not many new members giving advice based on their experience. There is always a know-it-all to bash their thoughts.

I don't see that you were bashed and I'm guessing your name isn't Bud.