calf with leg problem

Help Support CattleToday:

cah

Reaction score
Hi.. we have a calf that we broght in on Monday to ween and get halter broke for co fair. The calf was doing great with halter being on so we started to tie up for 1/2 hr to hr a day. Wed night went to barn to find her draging back right hind leg. We were in the barn with her at all times while she was tied up on Tuesday and Wed and saw noting but her standing.... Had the vet come last night and he can"t really find any broken bones or swelling.. he gave her a shot of linco and I will give another one tomorrow as he directed... any thoughts on this? pulled muscle or something but would that make her not put any weight on it? I was laying awake half the night thinking about this little heifer... she is out of one of our best and she is pretty good.... thought maybe the hip also... but vet didn't seem anything out of place... Any thoughts?

update on calf.... she is still not really walking on her leg much... she will stand on it and put a little weight but that is it. I gave her another shot of banamine on Sunday she got the first shot of it on Thursday of last week.. for some reason I put down she got a shot of linco.. ( we have show hogs) I must have had that on my mind.... anyway back to the calf... any thoughts? she is eating great and drinking great but I just don't know what else to do. If a calf has a hip out of place would she be able to lay down and all? We are pretty new to all of this and I just want her to get better. It will be a week on Wednesday I may have to call the vet back out to see what he thinks??? She will let you feel all over her and no problem... just kind of drags her leg around :) This is driving me crazy please help :roll:

I don't think we can really tell you more than you and your vet looking at the calf.

As it happened so quickly and you say it is only her leg, then I am guessing that she must have injured it somehow. Which means that it should be getting better each day. You said she is now standing on it and taking a bit of weight, so if that is an improvement, she may get better.

If she is not improving then there is cause to worry. She can't survive without the use of her leg once she gets older. Not really.

I was thinking she may get better also but watching her tonight... she seems to not move it forward or backward at all... I think it may be the hip... :(

They are not like us. If you get out of bed and have an ache, you think ow and stretch you shoulder and give it exercise to get it working.

They think. Ow. That hurt I am never moving that again.

If you don't trust your vet you need a second opinion. If you do trust your vet do what they said.

Got a different vet coming out today.... still not a lot of improvement of her leg. I trust both the vet's but want to get someone else's opinion. I guess we should know more later on...

Thanks

we had to put Calf down... took to vet and her break was really bad... in the femur bone and in the growth plate. :( Sad day! I sure hate this but I know we did what is right if she was not going to be able to walk or have calves :(

I am sorry to hear.

That is what I mean by they get better each day or they don't.

What a shame that the first vet did not pick up a bad break. She was in all that pain for nothing. :mad: :cry2:

Yea that is what I thought Also about the first vet... I just dont' think he really felt her leg well and When I felt it before the second vet I could hear it popping... we took her up to Ohio State and they are really good... I know if there was anything they could have done they would have and the cost is always low. They will use her for students to learn but IT IS SO Hard to lose one... Thanks for all the help and understanding.

Latest posts