Calf with laceration around pastern

Help Support CattleToday:

SH131

Reaction score
So I've only been raising cows for 5 years, and I've thankfully never had an injuires so far, but this year I had a calf get what looks like a laceration on her foot when she was about 2 weeks old that started out looking like a small cut then split open overnight around the pastern area, especially on the back of the foot. She's kept with her mom in a clean, dry pen and she's nursing well, but she lays down a lot and the foot is painful to walk on, it's starting to look like it's healing, but it's still swollen. I've gotten her pain medication and antibiotics from the vet, and they were pretty sure it's not frostbite but I'm wondering if there's a good topical treatment I could use to speed up the healing process and maybe help reduce the swelling.

I suppose you could use transdermal Bannamine. It has a longer treatment time per dose than injectable. Otherwise dexamethasone injectable is a really good anti-inflammatory.
You could also try DMSO. I've never used it as an anti-inflammatory, but I think it has some anti-inflammatory properties.

I had a cow with a cut between her toes that got infected, I had some tetracycline powder intended for use in drinking water.. I cut a strip out of a towel and dampened it, then put a bunch of the powder on and wrapped it, going between her toes, then vet wrap over top. Worked out good!

Latest posts