calf with injured leg

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

About 3 weeks ago, I found one of my calves that was about 1-2 weeks old with one of his back legs wounded and the skin around the knee was swollen and full foamy blood about the size of a small basketball. I lanced the leg and the fluid drained but now the stretched out skin has died and torn away, leaving the leg with a 6 inch wound completely around the leg(no skin). We vaccinate all our calves for blackleg but this calf had not been vaccinated yet. I haven't had a chance to talk to the vet or take the calf in. How can the wound ever heal?

[email protected]

i had a goat once that got his front legs hung in a tree fork overnight.. swelled big time to the point of splitting the skin open and exposing about a six inch long area on the side of his leg/knee with no skin at all there....

we kept him doctored and bandage and full of penicillin... i didnt think he had a chance... figured infection would get him... but i was truly amazed at how fast his skin grew back...

that was a year ago... he walked on his knees until about 2 weeks ago and he started walking upright some...

dont know much about blackleg or even if a calf that young can get it, but if this is from some injury, maybe you can get him going..

good luck,

gene

> About 3 weeks ago, I found one of
> my calves that was about 1-2 weeks
> old with one of his back legs
> wounded and the skin around the
> knee was swollen and full foamy
> blood about the size of a small
> basketball. I lanced the leg and
> the fluid drained but now the
> stretched out skin has died and
> torn away, leaving the leg with a
> 6 inch wound completely around the
> leg(no skin). We vaccinate all our
> calves for blackleg but this calf
> had not been vaccinated yet. I
> haven't had a chance to talk to
> the vet or take the calf in. How
> can the wound ever heal?

[email protected]

Cattle are pretty resilliant, if the wound is that old chances are it will heal fine. Tissue will granulate into the area, and hide will form, the hair may never grow back, but it will eventually cover over. Proud flesh is a worry, there is a product called "wonder dust", once you have a good granulation bed, you should use this to prevent proud flesh from forming or to reduce the amount of proud flesh that does form. Also, if you have time and can get the calf up, hydro therapy will really help tissue swelling and help keep the wound clean, it also helps improve blood flow to the area by stimulating the region with a soft flow of cool water.

[email protected]

> What is proud flesh? The best answere to that can be found by doing a Google search, that way you will learne the cause and nature of the tissue, and its function in the healing process

[email protected]