calf with injured front legs

Help Support CattleToday:

hoodfarms

Reaction score
I had a calf today that got his head stuck in a tree (where it v's off) and its front legs were stretched out in front of him like a v also. I have put him in the corral and given him LA 200, water, B12, and feed. He also had scraped the hide off of his legs trying to free himself. That said he will not get up or put any pressure on those from legs. I have tried standing him and his legs just flop under him. Any suggestions?

hoodfarms":107s5cnx said:
I had a calf today that got his head stuck in a tree (where it v's off) and its front legs were stretched out in front of him like a v also. I have put him in the corral and given him LA 200, water, B12, and feed. He also had scraped the hide off of his legs trying to free himself. That said he will not get up or put any pressure on those from legs. I have tried standing him and his legs just flop under him. Any suggestions?

How old? I'm thinking you've checked for possible fractures? You might want to think about giving him banamine for the inflammation and pain. Another option would be to run cold water over his front legs as often as possible to help with any swelling/inflammation. Outside of that, the only thing I can suggest is just keep an eye on him for possible infection and keep encouraging him to try to stand. Good luck! :)

Thanks, can you get banamine from a farm store or is it a vet med? Is seems like it has been one thing after another these last few weeks!! You must have a good attitude with cattle or they will DRIVE YOU CRAZY!!

hoodfarms":2on2m9c7 said:
Thanks, can you get banamine from a farm store or is it a vet med? Is seems like it has been one thing after another these last few weeks!! You must have a good attitude with cattle or they will DRIVE YOU CRAZY!!

No problem. I'm fairly certain banamine is a vet med. I've never seen it in the farm supply stores around here, but your area may be different. Another option I just remembered would be to give him some aspirin - I'm not sure exactly how much, but Dun can tell you that (he's the one I learned about the aspirin from) - he will get to this thread in the not too distant future. ;-) I hear you on the 'one thing after another' deal - sounds like Murphy's Law is in full effect at your place. :( Cattle are kind of like kids - if they can find something to get into trouble with, they will - and you're absolutely right about the attitude making a hugh difference!

Banamine is from the vet only. It can be given orally as well
as by injection. Do not overdose as it causes stomach ulcers.
( symptoms of ulcers- off feed, black tarry stools). :shock:
I have been using it alot this year on these orphan calves
for fever and inflamation. I have had no adverse reactions so far. :)

Latest posts