Calf with hoof broke off

Help Support CattleToday:

Sunnyside

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 5 week old bull calf who is having a rough life. He is the offspring from a son accidentally breeding his mother (Angus x Angus-holstein). He was small to start and has never had any vigor. We had to bottle feed him to start as the mother had ballooned teats and he had troubles nursing. Since we got that straightened out he has had a decent appetite but never runs around and always moves as if he is sore. He was banded at 5 days old. He has had 2 doses of MUSE in case that was part of the issue. His joints may be a little swollen but not overly swollen. We do not have a vet in the area that will come for anything other then cow emergencies. Calves just aren't high enough on the priority list. I spoke with the vet and he said to give him aspirin twice a day (4 @325g) and a dose of penicillin daily for week. On the second day of that treatment half of his back hoof split away. So he still has his outside toe but the inside on is completely gone. The vet told us to keep him bandaged (change every 2 to 4 days) and switch him to LA (we had alamycin LA so thats what we are using now). We have bandaged him and put a rubber dishwashing glove over top to keep it dry. I couldn't tell what had happened to cause this injury. Vet said sometimes they will do this if they've had a fever. I've been checking his temperature since he was born but have never found him fevered.

If anyone has stories of calves that they have dealt with like this, I would really appreciate advice. I'm very attached to the little guy but I don't want to keep him suffering through life if he can't likely recover. It is winter here but turning into spring. Ground is frozen still but its warm enough that we are getting puddles so infection is a real threat too.

Thanks so much!

Did you get any of his dams first milk in him? He needs clostrum starting out. Did you finally get him nursing the cow? I don't think I would put the rubber glove on his hoof. I would just keep it bandaged and vet wrapped so it can get air. If I had a vet that wouldn't come out for a calf or at least let me bring it to him I would find another vet.

Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry I felt like I wrote a lot but there's always things that get left out! Yes he had 2 bottles of colostrum replacement powder his first day. He probably got some from his mom but had a hard time latching on. When I saw how much trouble he was having I bottle fed him. Then once I had someone to help we pinned her, milked her, got him nursing and then after that has nursed well ever since. But he didn't get colostrum as early as he should have. He was 10 hours old when I bottle fed him.

Thank you for the suggestion about bandaging without a glove. We just replaced the bandage last night so I will cut the glove off and see if that looks any better when we change it tomorrow. It has went back below freezing here anyways. I'm in Ontario and we don't have any other option for vets.

Was his foot frozen? Had 1 with frozen back feet, was jumping around, kicking his feet up and both hoofs flew off.

Roadapple":28k725mg said:
Was his foot frozen? Had 1 with frozen back feet, was jumping around, kicking his feet up and both hoofs flew off.
On calves that's the only time I've seen them lose the hoof. On older cows I've seen them lose them from fescue that they couldn;t adapt to

Roadapple":b0h4zlla said:

Wow that would have been crazy to see! It would be possible that's what happened since it's winter here but I'm not sure. He's usually laying in the straw but who knows.

Did you treat him? Did he survive?

Can you block up his missing toe to even it out with the other side? He should never be anything more than a short dated market animal though. His body will start getting too big for his remaining toe to support which will cause him pain and stress. You should market or butcher him before this happens. I would expect that 4-500 pound live weight will be his stress point.

I had a calf freeze his outer claw. I knew this becasue I saw him sore for a while then one day his outer claw fell off. We did not treat him or bandage it in any way. Actually when the claw fell off he was not as sore because the painful part of the hoof was now off the ground. When we processed him a few weeks later and had him on the table, it was clear that a new healthy hoof wall was growing down from the coronary band and a few months after that it had grown down enough that you would never know he had lost it.

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone! And I really appreciate your story bward. Thank you! I have noticed that our calf also seems less sore then he did prior to losing the claw. He's more willing to walk around now. Hopefully he will be able to re-grow his hoof too. Your story gives me some hope!

And yes we are planning on keeping a close eye on him as he grows and not letting his life carry on too long. We are still treating with antibiotics and his foot is wrapped with gauze and vet wrap. Its still below freezing here. He seems to be coming along well so far. I will keep posting as he progresses.

As of yesterday, the calf has now lost the outer claw on that foot as well. He seems to be doing all right though. The original side has healed over somewhat and appears to be healthy skin. He is still able to get around ok and we have him bandaged up. Hopefully there will be some hoof growth showing soon. It has been 16 days since he lost the first claw.

My husband had a heifer to break off one side of her hoof when it was caught in an old portable squeeze chute. The chute was no longer used after this incident. After getting her up for a couple of treatments, he let her go, and waited to see what happened. It was too stressful to get her up and a long painful walk do more damage. She refused to come up to eat, and had plenty of pasture to eat. She lost weight, but was not skin and bones, which was good because she did not need a lot of weight on her foot. She was an easy keeper, and eventually she showed back up to the feed trough about fall time, and walked normally with a fall calf. Time healed her foot, and she made a good cow. She is a real nice smooth bodied red angus that holds her weight well. It was worth the time of letting her heal. She did gain good size, and had no trouble calving. So, hopefully, with a clean pasture, your cow will recover. Chuckie

Thanks Chuckie! Nice to hear stories of calves that have survived. Our boy will have a hard next month waiting for spring to come and dry of the ground up. If we can get him through the wet weather this time of year then hopefully he will be able to recover also.

Latest posts