calf with his head stuck in a cattle waterer "advice"?

Help Support CattleToday:

keysbottles

Reaction score
One of the automatic waterers was turned off and a 300 pound calf was trying to reach the water in the bottom and got his head stuck inside. The plastic rim at the top is beveled and smooth but the bottom is not. His ears are what is stopping him from pulling back out. He has torn the waterer loose from the ground. Never heard of this happening before. The only way that I can figure to get him out is cut the plastic away to enlarge the hole. Has anyone had this happen and know a magic bullet solution?

I'd have to see a picture to offer a solution but as for advice - NEVER turn the water off to a trough.

Bizarre!! At least in the are where I live. I would get a different trough if a cow can get it's head stuck. Was the water source positioned to the side rim or was it out in the middle somewhere? I'm just trying to figure out how this could happen.

keysbottles":nq40tgpa said:
One of the automatic waterers was turned off and a 300 pound calf was trying to reach the water in the bottom and got his head stuck inside. The plastic rim at the top is beveled and smooth but the bottom is not. His ears are what is stopping him from pulling back out. He has torn the waterer loose from the ground. Never heard of this happening before. The only way that I can figure to get him out is cut the plastic away to enlarge the hole. Has anyone had this happen and know a magic bullet solution?

Okay another bad mood..... Did anyone on the Internet get your calf unstuck? :? Just post before anything else.

keysbottles":297u09wt said:
I cut the tank up to save the calf. Have great photos on my camera but don't the knowledge to post, sorry.
Had the same thing happen once with a mirafount, valve froze the calves drank the water down, calf stuck his head all the way in and he was stuck. I just took the top off and then pushed is ears out the hole first then he was able to free himself after he got his ears going the right way.

Latest posts