calf with ear infection

Help Support CattleToday:

easyfarmer

Reaction score
Hi,I'm new here so I'll try to keep it short, I have a 2 month old calf with what I believe to be a ear infection,he holds his head to one side and his equilibrium just isn't right, he had a cough so I had been giving him LA 200 for 4 days, he seem to be ok, but now he's starting to do the same thing, His ear is touchy,I called the vet but wouldn't come because our herd isn't big enough (Only 6) We only have a few large animal vets.
Does any one have any suggestions? Are there any drops I can give him or other cures? Maybe another anti-biotics? Any suggestions would be great! :help:

Ear infections are difficult to clear up. I would see if one of the vets would give you a dose of Draxxin, if not there are several over the counter drugs to try. You could add Sustain 3, or Lincomix, or LS50, or Spectinomycin to the LA200. An AI tube is just the right size to fit in a small calves ear to burst the ear drum and relieve the pressure. Vaccinate all your calves with Bovi-Shield 5 Gold, 2 rounds 14 days apart.

Ear infections take a long time to heal and he may never hold his head perfectly straight.

Larry

easyfarmer":1b3j1fqa said:
Hi,I'm new here so I'll try to keep it short, I have a 2 month old calf with what I believe to be a ear infection,he holds his head to one side and his equilibrium just isn't right, he had a cough so I had been giving him LA 200 for 4 days, he seem to be ok, but now he's starting to do the same thing, His ear is touchy,I called the vet but wouldn't come because our herd isn't big enough (Only 6) We only have a few large animal vets.
Does any one have any suggestions? Are there any drops I can give him or other cures? Maybe another anti-biotics? Any suggestions would be great! :help:
WHAT!!!?????? Shouldn't matter if it is the only animal on your place. Can you take the calf to the vet????

easyfarmer":1x8g4gbr said:
I called the vet but wouldn't come because our herd isn't big enough (Only 6) We only have a few large animal vets.

I guess we're very lucky. Our vet doesn't mind making farm calls at all. He will work on anything from your goat to your dogs while there.

And :welcome: from GA

I wish we had vets like that here, and we're in a farming community and all they think about is the bigger guys, what about the little farmers like us? Our cows are born and die just like theirs, maybe quicker! So that leaves me to figure thing out for myself and how to keep my herd healthy. Thank God for some old farms that can help.

Do you have a trailer? Why not call for an appointment and haul the calf to the clinic? For us, it is cheaper to haul to the vet than pay the travel fee.

A trailer is a very important piece of equipment.

Good luck.

Latest posts