• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf with Ear Drainage

rnsandie

Reaction score
I bought a bottle calf from the local dairy to replace a heifer's calf that was born dead, The cow hated the baby! ( not the best idea I have had lately) Now I am bottle feeding him.... Cute, Bright, large thin bull calf. approx 2 wks old now. I noticed white milky drainage in ears... more mucus like than puss like.... same type of white stuff seen in his nostrals after bottle feed ( No odor). Does not seem to be in pain, has never had a fever, Temp is 101.5 - 102.2 daily. The only other problem is his poop.... started as yellow smelly foam... now brown pudding like mush ( almost a sweet smell)
Not giving soy MR... Premium MR that I have alway used... non medicated. Need imput please..... I have raised orphaned calves but never got one from a dairy.

milkmaid

Reaction score
Usually a sign of an ear infection. Does he hold his head tipped to one side and/or does the affected ear(s) droop?

rnsandie

Reaction score
no ... he acts normal.... no head tilt or droopy ears. The drainage stopped but this am when I went out to feed him one ear was draining again....No temp, no odor, thin mucus like, clear to white color???????

jerry27150

Reaction score
i would pour a little peroxide in the one or both ears if they both drain & give a shot of pen or biomycin 200(same as la 200 but non irritating), or some sulfur pills if you have those

Latest posts