Calf with Diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Wondering how to treat a calf 5 months old with Diarrhea? Do you always give them something at first sign or wait and see if clears on its own?

Thanks!

Is he on feed, on Pasture, I would venture to guess without any other clues it's from the lush spring grass. Keep an eye on him, I would get him to the barn to treat him.Was he a bottle Calf, or is he with his mama?Of course diahrhea untreated will cause dehydration and then more problems.See if you can fill in a few more blanks.

aplusmnt":3moucuhj said:
Wondering how to treat a calf 5 months old with Diarrhea? Do you always give them something at first sign or wait and see if clears on its own?

Thanks!
============
aplusmnt,

Scours/diarrhea can be very serious. There are Viral,Bacterial and other scours. Coccidiosis may be a factor.

Time could be critical.

Review the following site for good information about the problem and treatment;

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/animaldisease/g269.htm

Let us know if you need further help

The first thing I try is giving probiotics. Most of the time you will see improvement by the next day. The next step ( or first if it is dehydrated) would be to get some electrolytes in the animal. If it is caused by grass - I usually give it some hay along with the grass to bulk up the stools for a few days until they have adjusted to the grass. If none of that helps you may need antibiotics for some bugs it has picked up.

Thanks for replies so far! The calf is actually a show calf that is on a feed ration with a flake of hay daily. Feed has good portion of oats and cotton seed hulls. Has not been on green grass any at all. Night time turn out is a dry lot.

Thanks!

Sounds like a bug if you haven't changed his feed any. Vet told us 60cc of pepto bismal twice a day will help calm the stomach while you get this under control. Think you may need something like Excenel. Raise bottle calves and am not new to scouring problems. Good Luck.

Farmhand":21i1eqij said:
Sounds like a bug if you haven't changed his feed any. Vet told us 60cc of pepto bismal twice a day will help calm the stomach while you get this under control. Think you may need something like Excenel. Raise bottle calves and am not new to scouring problems. Good Luck.
==============

Farmhand,

I'll bet..... it's not new to you.

How soon do you generally see a response with Excenel treatment?

Have you had a lack of favorable response to Excenel?

If so what did you try next?

Excenel works pretty well for us. Have used Naxcel also. Dose with pepto bismal 2x a day. See results after 1 day.

Latest posts