Calf with badly buckled front legs

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a calf that was born with contracted tendons. He was huge walks just the one in the video. Vet put splints on him for two days. No improvement now we put the splints back on him for a couple more days. Hopefully he will get better

They cause more problems then help. If u can get by it, when its laying down stretch out front legs and gently straighten them out. A little physical therapy. Do it several times a day if you can. It takes a good week or 2 before u see good improvement. They will Go from knees to tip toes for a good while and then you won't even be able to tell! Our vet wasn't big on splints or taping etc. just time and some stretching if you can do it!! Good luck!!

Just had my newborn calf do this but his knees go backwards. I've had a calf do that to where his ankles pop forward. Your vet should be able to splint him up and losen them over a period of time and he will eventually walk normally. Go ahead and get a bottle and milk replacer and some colostrum powder (all sold at your local farm store) and I'd bucket feed him so you can constantly be sure he's getting the milk he needs. Or you can keep the cow in a small area and feed her and just milk her 2-3 times a day. Call your vet and have him do splints. He'll be fine!

Had the coyotes get a month old calf last year with rolled over feet. I thought he was getting around alright, feet were straightening out, but he was still kind of gimpy, and they got him. So anything with mobility issues should be watched and protected a bit more, those yotes will seek em out.

Latest posts